Lump/Bump on 5 week chick

Jaledo

Hatching
Apr 17, 2020
I have a naked neck/silkie chick that is about 5 weeks old. When I first got her, her head was bald. And as she’s growing she’s been growing a bump/lump it looks pretty gross. And I’m not sure what to do. She’s always been active and eating but it just looks worse.

Attachments

• EAC62156-5BC1-4434-B10D-CB2B9A3029DB.jpeg
    EAC62156-5BC1-4434-B10D-CB2B9A3029DB.jpeg
    383.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 9ADE8F4E-F320-41F7-B90F-FD73E2178630.jpeg
    9ADE8F4E-F320-41F7-B90F-FD73E2178630.jpeg
    330.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 76916894-1D79-4D7A-95E4-5A1323353414.jpeg
    76916894-1D79-4D7A-95E4-5A1323353414.jpeg
    521 KB · Views: 4
Possibly an ingrown feather... it needs to be treated somehow... and those feathers look horrid like some kinda bugs have ravaged them.. maybe lice or mites. I bred Silkies for a while and what I'm seeing when I scroll in close is not standard Silkie feathering as to reference for my suggestion. Are you able to seek veterinary care?

Can you please add you general location so we can make the best suggestions possible at a glance.. as it helps to know what resources might be available to you. :)

In regards to treating somehow... I have never faced this YET. So I THINK maybe a warm wash cloth soak to the effected area... trying to soften it and maybe draw anything to the surface... for a possible lancing to help release the feather... IF veterinary care is not an option. JUST brainstorming here.. please use you best judgement according to what YOU are seeing. :fl

Possibly an ingrown feather... it needs to be treated somehow... and those feathers look horrid like some kinda bugs have ravaged them.. maybe lice or mites. I bred Silkies for a while and what I'm seeing when I scroll in close is not standard Silkie feathering as to reference for my suggestion. Are you able to seek veterinary care?

Can you please add you general location so we can make the best suggestions possible at a glance.. as it helps to know what resources might be available to you. :)

In regards to treating somehow... I have never faced this YET. So I THINK maybe a warm wash cloth soak to the effected area... trying to soften it and maybe draw anything to the surface... for a possible lancing to help release the feather... IF veterinary care is not an option. JUST brainstorming here.. please use you best judgement according to what YOU are seeing. :fl

Hi! Thank you for your response! I’ll try what you recommended and getting an appointment has been complicated due to Covid and it won’t be for a while to get an appointment and will still need to some research where’s a good Vet for chickens

I’m located in Hayward, California.

Back
Top Bottom