LOS ANGELES county CA under bird quarantine :(

I believe the hatcheries are not selling because they would have to travel through one of the quarantine zones in order to get to most places.
A good point I haven't thought about. Why isn't there clear information though on how long we have to be without disease before the quarantine can be lifted? It makes it all seem very hopeless...

A good point I haven't thought about. Why isn't there clear information though on how long we have to be without disease before the quarantine can be lifted? It makes it all seem very hopeless...
No clue.

Call the state vet and ask her.

Eh... I may own chickens but I'm only a kid and I doubt my parents would agree to do that... They let me take care of the chickens but are not as into them as I am.
I don't think there is an age requirement to make a phone call to ask a question.

If you aren't allowed to call I will call for you tomorrow and report back with what they say.

The quarantine forbids any birds transiting through LAX on their way to anywhere.

There are 3 counties in SoCal that are quarantined: Los Angeles County, Riverside County and San Bernardino County.

Dr. Jones, the state chief veterinarian referred to the 6 months without any new detections consideration just before the most recent outbreak in the San Bernardino feed store. It wasn't, as I recall, an official publication but a reply to a newspaper reporter. She was remarking on the long interval during which they had detected no new cases and she suggested she might lift the quarantines after the next scheduled official assessment that occur at 6 month intervals. I wish I could find that for you but I haven't been able to. I'm working purely from memory.

Eh... I may own chickens but I'm only a kid and I doubt my parents would agree to do that... They let me take care of the chickens but are not as into them as I am.

I just wrote an e-mail and asked if the CA Dept. of Food and Agriculture would care to clear this up for us. I asked them to reply to this thread.

You can e-mail them too with your questions. The Avian Div. is at this e-mail addie: [email protected]

And a word of advice: Don't let being young hold you back. I'm not saying there aren't adults who might discount you but they shouldn't and you shouldn't let them. You have the same right to information as anyone else and you should be encouraged not hindered.

Glad to have you here! Happy to have you as a partner in keeping our animals safe and healthy! Glad to help you get information you can rely and act on!

Back
Top Bottom