Loppers or meat cleaver

Jvillehopeful

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 23, 2012
Can you sharp loppers or a meat cleaver for beheading poultry? I am not sure with an axe and want to make it as quick and painless as possible.

Either can and do work well, in the hands of a determined user. The hatchet or small ax is preferred in the time honored way, because of it's heft. The weight of the iron head, when propelled downward, carries a significant blow. Think of how you take a good whack at a piece of fire wood to split it. A chicken's neck isn't nearly that resistant. To me, it is all about being fast and over with. Thank you bird, thank you world for this chicken, now let's end this as simply, cleanly and quickly as possible.

Last edited:
:frow welcome to the forum! :frow Glad you joined us! :frow

I have not used either loppers or meat cleaver, but agree with Fred. The key is that it is over quick and sure. You have to have enough confidence in your method and yourself that you can do it without closing your eyes or altering it in the last second. You want it quick and sure. That way the chicken does not suffer. There is no right way or wrong way, just the way you can do it.

I used to use an ax but have switched to a lighter, smaller hatchet. It is easier to control due to the reduced weight. I put a couple of nails sticking up 2" or 3" with a space between them on a chopping block. A piece of tree trunk works really well for this but any large chunk of wood will do. A section of 4" x 6", 2" x10" or 2" x 12" might be easiest for some people to get their hands on. I hook the head between the nails and stretch the neck so I can get a good clear target and it is held still. Your meat cleaver should work well for this.

If I were to use the loppers, I'd probably use a version of the killing cone. Firmly hang a funnel with the small end down and with an opening you can pull the chicken's head through. As I said, I have not done it this way, but I'd think you can keep the chickens head still enough to do a good job.

An ax provides a better leverage and weighted head to make the cut.

A cleaver would be good but you have to be strong on your swings to make it happen.

I'd be happy to use either one of them.

I will stick with loppers.. have used them on hundreds of birds with good results

my mother used to make me hold the heads still while she swung an axe.. after a childhood of counting my fingers when she was done and having to hang onto tough roosters while their heads slipped around in the puddle of blood so she could make that swing.. i figured I have had enough of looking at an axe to last me a lifetime.

I will stick with loppers.. have used them on hundreds of birds with good results

my mother used to make me hold the heads still while she swung an axe.. after a childhood of counting my fingers when she was done and having to hang onto tough roosters while their heads slipped around in the puddle of blood so she could make that swing.. i figured I have had enough of looking at an axe to last me a lifetime.

Wow. I guess if I wanted the head pulled or held, I'd use the two nail approach. Don't reckon I'd ask anyone to hold the head. Glad you're still in one piece and didn't earn the nickname Lefty.
big_smile.png

I switched to the two-nail approach this past summer. It's one of those things that is "WOW! Why didn't I try this years before?" That neck does not move.

Yinepu, how do you use the loppers? I'd think you'd need two hands for the loppers and an additional hand to hold the chicken.

Back
Top Bottom