Looking to rent soon & wondering people's experiences bringing up poultry residing there.

dracoe19

Songster
8 Years
May 31, 2011
Warrenton, Virgina
I figured this maybe the best place to ask about people's experiences renting and owning chickens. I am not looking to rent right now. More like 6-12+ months down the road. I am currently living at my parents with all my birds. I know I won't be able to have the numbers I have here now ( sometimes 100+) but that's fine with me.

I raise APA standard wyandottes not just backyard birds for laying. I am very involved in conservation and showing at APA shows so I need roosters and will be breeding. It's something that is a huge part of my life and even my work so I am not going to just give up years of hard work just ti please one potential landlord.

I have been looking around for fun and have found nice places with out buildings, small barns, or just a nice batch of acreage. Most are "contact about animals". I haven't contacted anyone since I am not looking to rent right now and don't want to jerk them around and waist their time.
I guess I'm mainly wondering what have been your experiences with asking about bringing poultry in?
I live in a farming area and plan on continuing to do so but I have become leary of landlords due to horrible experiences for the past 4 years (no chickens involved then but cats were). I once had a landlord seriously ask me why I owned cats and why I didn't eat them! Ontop of that just fights, bringing in lawyers, and a lot more bad things. Hopefully I won't have to deal with that again but I want an idea of what others have had to deal with.

Tell me your good, your bad, and I general experience looking, and renting while having poultry. Wether it be for layers or heritage birds.

I have also looked at restrictions etc. in my area. I won't be living in any city limits so so far it has been up to the discretion of the landlord.

Thanks in advance.

I think a big part of it depends on where you live. I am renting in a college town right now that is surrounded by tons of farm land. Many of my friends rent houses and the landlords have no issues allowing poultry. I definitely do think it depend on how you keep them and the numbers (if the yard is small, it's probably not a good idea to keep a TON of chickens because I think that would make some landlords mad.)

Anytime you are thinking about renting with animals, it is best to be upfront about all the details so there are no surprises. Bringing pictures and explaining what you did in your post (about working to conserve the breed) are good things to bring up.

My chickens are at home with my parents now but I do have a dog and that can be tricky, especially since some people think she is a bully breed with her wide head (despite the fact that I am pretty certain she is lab/beagle)

Back
Top Bottom