Long term wheezing after activity

orelsi

Songster
5 Years
Jan 17, 2019
I have a hen that is a favourite among the family, she is amazing. About two months ago she started wheezing after running/flying. The wheezing is barely audible, even for those of us with excellent hearing, when she is at rest - perched, in someone's lap, standing, etc. She does it after strenuous activity and it stops when she catches her breath after 20 seconds or so.

There are no other symptoms, she is super active, jumping the fence between plots often, running, scratching, dust bathing, you name it. Eating normally, laying normally, poop is fine, there is no discharge from nose or eyes. She is not gasping or stretching her neck. There is nothing stuck in her airway, I know how that issue sounds, this one sounds like a respiratory illness. In every other aspect she is in perfect health. I can't get her to a vet or send samples for testing where I live, sadly. I have to treat my hens myself. I gave her an antibiotic course at the start, but there was no change. I haven't given her anything since except vitamins. As far as I can tell it is not getting better or worse.

Does anyone have an idea? In my experience flu and respiratory stuff either kills them or they get better in 1-2 weeks. It can't go on for 2 months, can it? Especially with no other symptoms? I was thinking it might be some kind of chronic asthma/bronchitus, but I can't know for sure. Can this be tested at home?

Does she have any signs of a respiratory illness, such as discharge from nostrils, bubbles in an eye, swelling of the face or eyelid, sneezing, coughing, or crackly breathing? It sounds like her wheezing may not be too serious otherwise. Does she have any swelling or fluid collecting in her lower belly up under her vent?

Does she have any signs of a respiratory illness, such as discharge from nostrils, bubbles in an eye, swelling of the face or eyelid, sneezing, coughing, or crackly breathing? It sounds like her wheezing may not be too serious otherwise. Does she have any swelling or fluid collecting in her lower belly up under her vent?
None of those. No swelling, fluids, discharges, none of it.

I've seen her sneeze a couple of times, but it's not a frequent thing and I might be overanalyzing it due to my concern. There is no fluid discharge when she sneezes.

Back
Top Bottom