Living life on the edge (of the incubator) hatch-a-long

22 hatched, 9 to go, and of those 9, 7 are pipped.

The black chick who has pipped the wrong end, I gave it an air hole, it's about 24 hours from the first pip, I've seen it chewing but it's not chewing much anymore. I'm going to give it a few more hours but I'm expecting it may need help. It's position means it grew upside down the entire time. I had then set aircell straight up in the Brinsea 😬

At what point do I help Seargent Pepper? It's been 24 hours and the hole is pretty big, I just don't feel like it will be able to turn and zip. It had been chewing a lot, I'm not seeing that anymore.

With 6 others pipped I don't want to open the incubator until it's 100% necessary. This upside down chick is one of the shipped in fancy silkie babies. 😬 of the 14 eggs, only 7 developed, one quit and only 4 have hatched. I need our little Seargent Pepper!

Zip the Zippy Chick is out! @pipdzipdnreadytogo

Looks like it's probably a paint! I see little flecks of dark in that white down. Now, is it a chocolate, or is is black 🤔 what has Chonkers passed along...

20240217_105414.jpg

Excellent, so Zip is good at following directions! 🤭 You'll probably have to let little one fluff up a bit to figure anything else out!

At what point do I help Seargent Pepper? It's been 24 hours and the hole is pretty big, I just don't feel like it will be able to turn and zip. It had been chewing a lot, I'm not seeing that anymore.

With 6 others pipped I don't want to open the incubator until it's 100% necessary. This upside down chick is one of the shipped in fancy silkie babies. 😬 of the 14 eggs, only 7 developed, one quit and only 4 have hatched. I need our little Seargent Pepper!

Are the little one's nostrils pretty well clear of the egg's membrane? Still 'chewing' or has that stopped entirely? Does it look like the membrane is turning brownish around the pip at all or does it look papery? Does it look like the baby is trying to start zipping, jerking its head and peeping a lot?

I understand the hesitation toward opening the incubator at this time, but I've done it without issue many times. I won't open mine if a chick is actively zipping, but with just pips it usually goes fine. I also have a smaller incubator that I use for hatching, though, so I don't know how much that would impact its ability to build up humidity again. Personally, I would give the little one a bit more time unless it looks like it's drying out or like baby is trying to zip at this point, but it's so tricky to figure out what the right thing is to do in these situations. :fl

Excellent, so Zip is good at following directions! 🤭 You'll probably have to let little one fluff up a bit to figure anything else out!

Are the little one's nostrils pretty well clear of the egg's membrane? Still 'chewing' or has that stopped entirely? Does it look like the membrane is turning brownish around the pip at all or does it look papery? Does it look like the baby is trying to start zipping, jerking its head and peeping a lot?

I understand the hesitation toward opening the incubator at this time, but I've done it without issue many times. I won't open mine if a chick is actively zipping, but with just pips it usually goes fine. I also have a smaller incubator that I use for hatching, though, so I don't know how much that would impact its ability to build up humidity again. Personally, I would give the little one a bit more time unless it looks like it's drying out or like baby is trying to zip at this point, but it's so tricky to figure out what the right thing is to do in these situations. :fl
I'm going to give it another hour and check again. I think it's getting dry, it's hard to tell 😬

Back
Top Bottom