Living life on the edge (of the incubator) hatch-a-long

Pics
It's Lockdown Day! But, it's only Day 17, what am I doing!?! Lol, since I set the eggs early in the morning, and I've had silkies hatch on day 20, AND, if I don't do lockdown tonight I won't do it until tomorrow night, so tonight is my safe window to get everything situated and have a grace day of trying to get the humidity where I want it before things get serious!

Read all about the chickies growth today here!

Day 17

The embryo's renal system produces urates. The beak, now under the right wing, points to the air cell. The albumen is now fully absorbed.

Lock down day! Babies are on the way!! :wee

I have a question for those who have hatched shipped eggs. They have been upright in the Brinsea this whole time, the air cells were quite jiggly when I got the eggs. Is it OK to lay them on their sides to hatch, or should I use an egg crate or small rope to hold them upright to hatch?

They'd probably be fine on their side, but my personal preference is to hatch eggs slightly upright in an egg carton, as that also prevents them from being rolled around by chicks that hatch before them. I've seen those rope pictures as well and that would work just the same!

I guess I don't have very many good pictures to show my lock down setup handy at the moment, but here's a freshly hatched baby from last year around which you can kind of see how I had the eggs set.

1707835683543.png

Lock down day! Babies are on the way!! :wee

They'd probably be fine on their side, but my personal preference is to hatch eggs slightly upright in an egg carton, as that also prevents them from being rolled around by chicks that hatch before them. I've seen those rope pictures as well and that would work just the same!

I guess I don't have very many good pictures to show my lock down setup handy at the moment, but here's a freshly hatched baby from last year around which you can kind of see how I had the eggs set.

View attachment 3746842

Is it bad to have eggs rolling around in lockdown? Would it decrease hatch rates?

There is potential for it causing some issues, yes. For example, I've had a case where an egg was rolled so that its pip was against the floor and it closed back up, suffocating the chick within. I really don't think it significantly reduces the hatch rate overall, however, like you aren't going to lose half of your hatch because of it or anything. You just may lose an egg or two at random as a result.

I have some eggs on their sides as they started in the NR360 that way, but the shipped eggs and the local breeders eggs are upright. I think I'll keep them that way, I'll clean and sanitize some cartons tonight for them and maybe try some with the rope too and see what works for my setup.

There is potential for it causing some issues, yes. For example, I've had a case where an egg was rolled so that its pip was against the floor and it closed back up, suffocating the chick within. I really don't think it significantly reduces the hatch rate overall, however, like you aren't going to lose half of your hatch because of it or anything. You just may lose an egg or two at random as a result.

Interesting! I want to be reaaaally careful with my upcoming hatch, so I will try do do your method of putting them into egg carton, although I don't know if I can find those foam/plastic ones. Do you notice them having any difficulty standing up and walking, with this setup?

Interesting! I want to be reaaaally careful with my upcoming hatch, so I will try do do your method of putting them into egg carton, although I don't know if I can find those foam/plastic ones.

I only use the foam ones or the clear plastic ones. I was personally afraid that the cardboard/paper pulp ones would suck all the humidity out of the air which is why I don't use them. However, I have not actually tried that kind in the incubator so I don't know for sure that they would really do that!

Do you notice them having any difficulty standing up and walking, with this setup?

Not at all! 😁

https://www.backyardchickens.com/attachments/1681555379991-png.3468215/

I only use the foam ones or the clear plastic ones. I was personally afraid that the cardboard/paper pulp ones would suck all the humidity out of the air which is why I don't use them. However, I have not actually tried that kind in the incubator so I don't know for sure that they would really do that!

Not at all! 😁

https://www.backyardchickens.com/attachments/1681555379991-png.3468215/

That's what I'm thinking as well. If I can't find the plastic ones, I'll probably have to try something else.

Good to see that they don't pose any problems! I'll have to strongly consider this

Back
Top Bottom