Living life on the edge (of the incubator) hatch-a-long

Pics
So, it turns out that the Swedish Flower eggs # 8 and 9, could be SWH over a Dark Brahma 🤣 we may have 1 or 2 Brahma crosses here 😃
What is SWH ? The Auction house had a beautiful Partridge Brahma they were auction off .I wish I could have let her out of her cage 😢 Go Brahma rock on ! 🤘

Excited Go Team GIF

Grow little ones grow!

So this morning I thought it was going to be the big day ! Antiocheggers were going out and buy an incubator and hatch those babies. So we went to the local feed store, 2 miles from the house, to see if they would buy baby chickes. NOPE! she order 125 pullets chickes from Texas!!! Texas??? I don't get it you live in Florida :idunnothey could guarantee they were pullets . So we went to the Auction house see what they would buy them for. .75 chick maybe. But if you have rooster bring them! Yes, I might get $7.50 a rooster after it's grown. So math isn't adding up here. I can buy baby chicks from Rual King for 2 - 3 dollars but the hatching are .75 ?? Also, the auction house is so disgusting I felt like reporting them for animal abuse. None of the crates of animals had any water. Well, i could on but what go will it do. So it back to the drawing board for Antiocheggers. Thanks listening. 😆 now to live vicariously through all y'all that are hatching all these babies rock on little babies chickes
The best thing to do if you are hatching and wanting to sell the extras, is to have a breed people want and are willing to pay for. Even then, you'll likely have excess cockerel that no one wants.

I'm assuming about a 50% hatch rate on these eggs, being winter, pullet eggs, and shipped eggs. So as @TwoCrows has so kindly pointed out, and @GreenJay confirmed, I have 94 (now 96...) eggs in the incubator, if half hatch I'll have 48 chicks, half of those will be pullets so 24 girls. So really, not that many... 🤣

But, I totally understand, it's easy to have the flock numbers get out of hand and chicks can be super cheap, or they may not sell. Auctions don't make you money and it's a business so some are not that pleasant. If you can find a local poultry swap, or post them locally on Craigslist would be better than the auction. Just be careful about what you bring home from a swap, you could bring sickness and disease you don't intend to, so just be careful. Finding a buyer on Craigslist and meeting them somewhere other than your property is a safe idea.

Just buying day old pullets as needed is definitely an easier and more controllable way to go.

What is SWH ? The Auction house had a beautiful Partridge Brahma they were auction off .I wish I could have let her out of her cage 😢 Go Brahma rock on ! 🤘
Swedish Flower Hen! They are a landrace breed, and very gorgeous 🤩

Also, be careful at auctions or anywhere around poultry, you can take home bacteria and viruses on your shoes, clothing, and hands. Not to say never go anywhere, but just be aware of what you wear and either have specific clothing you wear around your flock vs town or cleaning between. Just practice good biosecuriy all the time. Stuff can still happen, but at least you've done what you can to keep sickness away from your flock. ❤

The best thing to do if you are hatching and wanting to sell the extras, is to have a breed people want and are willing to pay for. Even then, you'll likely have excess cockerel that no one wants.

I'm assuming about a 50% hatch rate on these eggs, being winter, pullet eggs, and shipped eggs. So as @TwoCrows has so kindly pointed out, and @GreenJay confirmed, I have 94 (now 96...) eggs in the incubator, if half hatch I'll have 48 chicks, half of those will be pullets so 24 girls. So really, not that many... 🤣

But, I totally understand, it's easy to have the flock numbers get out of hand and chicks can be super cheap, or they may not sell. Auctions don't make you money and it's a business so some are not that pleasant. If you can find a local poultry swap, or post them locally on Craigslist would be better than the auction. Just be careful about what you bring home from a swap, you could bring sickness and disease you don't intend to, so just be careful. Finding a buyer on Craigslist and meeting them somewhere other than your property is a safe idea.

Just buying day old pullets as needed is definitely an easier and more controllable way to go.
Thanks everyone ☺️ yea that place was disgusting. I wouldn't buy any chickens from there I'd be too afraid of what they might have or where they came from even when I buy them from Rural King the chicks are isolated before they're even introduced to or go around the coops with the older chickens.

Thanks everyone ☺️ yea that place was disgusting. I wouldn't buy any chickens from there I'd be too afraid of what they might have or where they came from even when I buy them from Rural King the chicks are isolated before they're even introduced to or go around the coops with the older chickens.
😱 I can only imagine how bad it was.

Back
Top Bottom