List of Texas cities that allow chickens

wildela

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 5, 2014
Hi all
I live in El Lago, TX and am working getting the ordinances that prohibit backyard chickens changed. I am utilizing some of the great information already shared on BYC, and I thank you all for the hard work you have done. One thing I cannot find is a good list of towns/cities in Texas that already allow BYC. I thought that presenting a list, even if not comprehensive, of cities that allow chickens might help persuade our city council that they aren't on the bleeding edge of a new, unwanted trend, but instead are coming into an established way of living. Is anyone aware of a list of chicken friendly cities in Texas? If such a thing does not exist, if you are reading this and are in a chicken friendly Texas town, would mind posting the name of your town in the comments? So far, the towns I have found are: Lubbock, Kyle, Buda, League City, Galveston, Wimberly, Dallas, Rowlett, Heath, Corpus Christi, and Poetry. I know there are more.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Lee Anne

League City allows chickens, but must be kept more than 50 feet away from other residences. Alvin does as well - 2 hens per 4,900 sq ft lot, 7 per 6,600 sq ft lot and no roosters on less than 1 acre lot. Pearland - can have chickens if have more than 1 acre, and can have 16 chickens (or ducks or geese, in any combo) which equals 1 animal unit, and cannot have more than 3 AUs per 1/2 acre of land. Friendswood's ordinance did not explicitly say you could not keep chickens, and it said you can hobby breed birds but keep no more than 20, and also that you cannot have livestock (but the list only included horses, mules, sheep, goats, hogs, etc). Webster - cannot have chickens on less than 2 acres.
El Lago's ordinance was unclear ("unlawful to harbor or maintain any animal in other than a humane manner") but nothing that explicitly said NO chickens... ? It's been nearly a year since you posted this. Updates?

Hi all
I live in El Lago, TX and am working getting the ordinances that prohibit backyard chickens changed. I am utilizing some of the great information already shared on BYC, and I thank you all for the hard work you have done. One thing I cannot find is a good list of towns/cities in Texas that already allow BYC. I thought that presenting a list, even if not comprehensive, of cities that allow chickens might help persuade our city council that they aren't on the bleeding edge of a new, unwanted trend, but instead are coming into an established way of living. Is anyone aware of a list of chicken friendly cities in Texas? If such a thing does not exist, if you are reading this and are in a chicken friendly Texas town, would mind posting the name of your town in the comments? So far, the towns I have found are: Lubbock, Kyle, Buda, League City, Galveston, Wimberly, Dallas, Rowlett, Heath, Corpus Christi, and Poetry. I know there are more.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Lee Anne
Midland Tx does but Odessa Tx does not. They claim these 2 cities are rural yet they wont allow chickens in Odessa Tx on the north end. If you go to the West side of Odessa you see chickens and ducks in people's front yards.

I'm curious about Denver City, TX. they have this in the ordinances but I don't think the (1) sentence makes any sense. What do y'all think? is it saying you had to have the chickens before August 1st, 1988?? no chicken alive then would still be alive today I don't think lmao

(c) Keeping fowl. It shall be unlawful for any person to keep within the city limits chickens, roosters, guineas, geese, ducks, pigeons or other fowl. The fine for any violation of the provisions of this subsection shall be $25.00, plus court costs. This subsection shall not be applicable and it shall be a complete defense to any criminal charges made under this article if the following conditions are met:
  1. )The individual has under his care, custody and control within the city limits chickens, roosters, guineas, geese, ducks or pigeons or other fowl on the 1st day of August, 1988, and can prove the same to the satisfaction of appropriate authority or municipal judge.
  2. )The fowl aforementioned are kept in coops and under sanitary conditions.
  3. )The individual claiming this exemption must remain at the same physical address and cannot move the fowl aforementioned to another address within the city limits.
  4. )In no event shall any individual be allowed to keep any animals which create a nuisance as defined in this chapter.
  5. )In no event shall any person be allowed to keep more than 25 fowl.

Does anyone have backyard chicken information for Mansfield, TX? Are residents allowed to keep chickens? How many? Looking for the regulations around this, if any. Thank you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom