Limping lady...

BARobbins

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2024
We have a RLW hen who is the "bitch of the bunch". She is a fluffy butt gal a bit heavier than the others. We at times will pull er for a bit of spa treatment. Epsom soak on clean the back side. We'll as we were drying her and turned she freaked per say got a bit loose and wifey helped contain. She was panting at that time So calmed and returned to the flock. Next day she had a limp... checked her feet look good and now very skiddish. Two days she is favoring it lagging but eating and so far laying. Hoping a sprain? Wait a few days and see? Any advice is welcome.

Sprains an injuries are common. Sometimes Mareks can cause a limp or paralyzed leg. A video uploaded to YouTube with a link posted here of her walking might help us see what is going on. Do you see any green bruising, swelling, or injury on the skin of the leg or foot? Just monitor that she is getting plenty of food and water, and that she is not being bullied. Sometimes confining in a wire dog crate with food/water to restrict activity (no running, jumping off roosts) for a week or two may help an injury heal. That also helps if others attack her, but the crate should be where she can stay with her flock if possible.

Sprains an injuries are common. Sometimes Mareks can cause a limp or paralyzed leg. A video uploaded to YouTube with a link posted here of her walking might help us see what is going on. Do you see any green bruising, swelling, or injury on the skin of the leg or foot? Just monitor that she is getting plenty of food and water, and that she is not being bullied. Sometimes confining in a wire dog crate with food/water to restrict activity (no running, jumping off roosts) for a week or two may help an injury heal. That also helps if others attack her, but the crate should be where she can stay with her flock if possible.
Here is a short video I put on you tube I hope I did it correct as my first time.. shows her walking on it.

Back
Top Bottom