Limping Hen - no other symptoms

Andreamoroz1989

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2019
Hi all!

I have a 2-3 year old RIR (I think) lady that I found standing still in the run last Sunday (Jan 16). Her left leg is on the ground but she will not put any weight on it to walk so she is mostly laying down or standing in one spot when I let her out of the dog crate. She does not hold her leg up and she has good grip around my fingers. I have had her in the house in a dog crate since. She is happy, clucking away, eating drinking and laying me an egg every day.

I did deworm my flock about a week ago and found some dead round worms in her poop yesterday (Thursday) morning but other than that, her poops have been normal. No other chickens are showing issues with their legs. I checked the rest of my flocks poop and none have passed any dead roundworms that I can see.

My thoughts: broken leg, dislocated hip, neurological issue, vitamin B deficiency, roundworms (mixed reviews if they can cause paralysis). Any thoughts or suggestions of what I should be doing? I don’t want to have to cull her since she is perfectly happy other than not being able to walk…. Here is a link to a video of her trying to walk.

So my two year old did the same thing. I rigged my favorite type of splint and she magically got better. The vet said it was a dislocated hip, and when properly splinted, it can pop back in

So my two year old did the same thing. I rigged my favorite type of splint and she magically got better. The vet said it was a dislocated hip, and when properly splinted, it can pop back in
Oh that is amazing! So glad she healed up! Do you have a link or instructions for the splinting? I’d love to try!

What did you deworm with - product, dose and duration?

Can you post some photos of her leg and foot, bottom of foot too? Any swelling?
Hi! Thanks for the reply!

I used topical ivermectin (which is what I have always used with 0 issues). 3 drops on back, 9 days ago.

She is using the foot/leg to scratch her head and I don’t see swelling so I’m at a loss.
19B909CD-B493-44BD-B4C7-8E82DBCC029E.jpeg
0632196A-9F05-4882-B7DA-05642C01659C.jpeg
F76C19EA-F3BE-4B7C-B3B2-41575DE0A691.jpeg
D3701EF1-003E-4293-A405-3427F88CB584.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom