Limping chicken/odd Looking

pglad

In the Brooder
May 4, 2019
0A99DC56-4B80-4885-9BA6-0DAB14A4CE4D.jpeg
60DAD256-1D73-4507-975A-BCD58DA1C678.jpeg
8B5CA09B-2812-47BD-9320-ED45C898D0F6.jpeg
Hello-
New to the show world! We have a Rhode Island Red Young hen. She started limping on one leg this week and now on both. She’s wanting to curl her toes. She can gobble around, we notice she has extremely long nails and an odd looking beak.. I’m attaching pics of all. Do you cut this nails on chicken?

View attachment 1822096 View attachment 1822098 View attachment 1822099 Hello-
New to the show world! We have a Rhode Island Red Young hen. She started limping on one leg this week and now on both. She’s wanting to curl her toes. She can gobble around, we notice she has extremely long nails and an odd looking beak.. I’m attaching pics of all. Do you cut this nails on chicken?
How old is she?
How long have you had her?
What do you feed?
How is she housed?
I agree, the nails need trimming.
Is the beak crossed or is it just long, hard to tell? It may need to be trimmed a bit as well so she can eat. If the beak is crossed, you can accommodate her by offering feed in deeper dishes or try giving a wet mash of feed.
Curling the toes, yes, I would offer some poultry vitamins that contain B2(Riboflavin) or give her 1/2 tablet of human B-Complex for a week.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/beak-and-claw-trimming.74570/

My chickens are housed inside an old dog kennel with concrete flooring. I use wood chips on the floor. I have hanging feeders with 20% feed. We got these chicken for my daughter to show this show season and purchased them in April. This hen is 2.

QUOTE="Wyorp Rock, post: 21487400, member: 380647"]How old is she?
How long have you had her?
What do you feed?
How is she housed?
I agree, the nails need trimming.
Is the beak crossed or is it just long, hard to tell? It may need to be trimmed a bit as well so she can eat. If the beak is crossed, you can accommodate her by offering feed in deeper dishes or try giving a wet mash of feed.
Curling the toes, yes, I would offer some poultry vitamins that contain B2(Riboflavin) or give her 1/2 tablet of human B-Complex for a week.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/beak-and-claw-trimming.74570/[/QUOTE]

My chickens are housed inside an old dog kennel with concrete flooring. I use wood chips on the floor. I have hanging feeders with 20% feed. We got these chicken for my daughter to show this show season and purchased them in April. This hen is 2.

Can you post some photos of the whole hen, one facing forward too so we can see the front of the beak more clearly?

Back
Top Bottom