Light Brahma....boy or girl?

schrephouse

Songster
9 Years
Mar 18, 2014

We just started our flock anx bought 10 chicks they are now almost 5 weeks old. We knew after a cohple day we had one barred rock rooster. Now I am concerned we may have a light brahma rooster and a ee (americana rooster). Can anyone give me a opinion on out brahma please.

These are my ee's. Impossible to tell but they are different in color and keep arguing.

Here is my beautiful barred rock roo. He's a beauty at only 4 weeks.

The whole flock

You will be able to tell by the feathers of the saddle of the young ones. At this point, they look like what my hens looked like. The roosters get longer feathers on their backs that divide and hang towards the ground/floor where the hens lay more like the two you have. Also, roosters start getting longer feathers on their necks. Good luck... I hope you get what you are wishing for.

Hi and good morning Schrephouse!

I love Brahmas as a breed. When I first started raising chickens I had 2 light Brahmas along with an Ameraucana and a Barred Rock--excellent assortment!

I have found that Brahmas are harder to sex than other breeds because they grow their feathers in so much more slowly and in most breeds the males do feather in slower than the females.

The best way for me with this breed is to look very closely at their combs from the front. This breed has a pea comb. What you will find is that the females have a single row of bumps (may even look like just a raised blade) up the middle whereas boys will have a broader comb area and will have tiny bumps along either side of the center row.

The comb difference should be obvious by now. If you can (and I know its really hard!) try to get head shots on each of them so we can see that specific area.

Last edited:
Hi and good morning Schrephouse!

I love Brahmas as a breed. When I first started raising chickens I had 2 light Brahmas along with an Ameraucana and a Barred Rock--excellent assortment!

I have found that Brahmas are harder to sex than other breeds because they grow their feathers in so much more slowly and in most breeds the males do feather in slower than the females.

The best way for me with this breed is to look very closely at their combs from the front. This breed has a pea comb. What you will find is that the females have a single row of bumps (may even look like just a raised blade) up the middle whereas boys will have a broader comb area and will have tiny bumps along either side of the center row.

The comb difference should be obvious by now. If you can (and I know its really hard!) try to get head shots on each of them so we can see that specific area.

Thanks for the waddle information. I just got 11 light brahma's and boy are they hard to sex. Ill have to look at them tomorrow at their combs and see if the ones I think are male and selling as male are indeed male. These two I have are pretty big and stout looking, big fat legs and other than wing and some hackle feathers are pretty bare. One I saw today was pretty smart and figured things out in order to get treats. I was impressed. Oh and mine are 4 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom