LGBTQ+ Poultry Keepers

some people insist that chickens also can keep themselves cool because they're insulated, so I wasn't too sure.
It is in fact true. A little knowledgee of thermodynamics and the structure and operation of the chickens feathers will confirm this.
One only needs to consider what on earth was nature thinkng of when it equiped a sub tropical bird that doesn't really fly with insulating feathers when the temperature range they originally lived in had an average daytime temperature of ~26C and nightime temperatures rarely drop much below 18C.
Chickens can make minute adjustments to their feathers mostly with a type of feather called filoplumes. Adjust the orientation of their feathers allows them to maximise air flow close to the skin by lifting and lowering the downy feathers and the semiplumes underneath the contour feathers.
Primary feathers due to their barbed construction can form a reflective water shedding shield against the elements. It's a bit like having a leaky reflective tarpaulin with an adjustable air gap underneath.
As long as the ambient temperature is below that of the body temperature of the chicken the heat will follow the gradient from hot to cold. The larger the temperature difference between the hot source and the cold sink, the faster the heat will flow across the insulation.
If one inserts an adjustable air gap between the the hot source and the cold sink and one can regulate the air flow through the gap the options for controlling the flow of heat in either direction are greatly improved.

Sorry about all that reading.:oops:

It is in fact true. A little knowledgee of thermodynamics and the structure and operation of the chickens feathers will confirm this.
One only needs to consider what on earth was nature thinkng of when it equiped a sub tropical bird that doesn't really fly with insulating feathers when the temperature range they originally lived in had an average daytime temperature of ~26C and nightime temperatures rarely drop much below 18C.
Chickens can make minute adjustments to their feathers mostly with a type of feather called filoplumes. Adjust the orientation of their feathers allows them to maximise air flow close to the skin by lifting and lowering the downy feathers and the semiplumes underneath the contour feathers.
Primary feathers due to their barbed construction can form a reflective water shedding shield against the elements. It's a bit like having a leaky reflective tarpaulin with an adjustable air gap underneath.
As long as the ambient temperature is below that of the body temperature of the chicken the heat will follow the gradient from hot to cold. The larger the temperature difference between the hot source and the cold sink, the faster the heat will flow across the insulation.
If one inserts an adjustable air gap between the the hot source and the cold sink and one can regulate the air flow through the gap the options for controlling the flow of heat in either direction are greatly improved.

Sorry about all that reading.:oops:
Okay, so the cooling effect on birds is due more to how they physically move the feathers than because the outer feathers actually help keep heat off of them?

Or that a 103°F (I think thats How hot they are naturally) chicken with shade avaliable will only overheat from their own feathers if the outside temperature is above their own body temperature?

Okay, so the cooling effect on birds is due more to how they physically move the feathers than because the outer feathers actually help keep heat off of them?
It's both but I don't know what percentages to attribute to either.

Or that a 103°F (I think thats How hot they are naturally) chicken with shade avaliable will only overheat from their own feathers if the outside temperature is above their own body temperature?
Pretty much. The closer the ambient temperature is to their core body temperature the harder it is for them to transfer heat away from their bodies. Heat transfer rate is dependant on the temperature difference between hot source and cold sink; mostly. If the ambient temperature is say 10C the chicken will lose heat faster than if the temperature is 20C

The reason I said recommendations is i was hoping someone could add their favorite high fiber foods.
Here's what I like:
oatmeal with cinnamon and bananas and raisins (or cherries and blueberries) The old fashioned kind, not the "instant oatmeal" with all the "flavorings" and sugar added.

brown rice (stir fried, or with spaghetti sauce)
apples (with the skin!), oranges, berries, cherries, grapes
winter squash, greens of many kinds, tomatoes, potatoes (with the skin)

and...
About high fiber favourites...
Real popcorn!
YES! Popcorn, hot air popped, nothing on it!
Sorry about all that reading
Don't be sorry; that was interesting!

Back
Top Bottom