LGBTQ+ Poultry Keepers

Do you have a better selection of chickens over there? Like better quality and breed?
Im not really sure? We have good variation but maybe a limited gene pool especially for rare breeds. But in general we do have good quality chucks. I mainly have x breeds (apart from my ayams) the gene pool is then divers and i get happy healthy chickens, im not really a breed snob id rather healthy any day . Thats why iv got my cemani's from 2 diffrent breeders and will introduce a 3rd next year. some breeds however you just cant get for love nor money like the ayam ketawa or phoenix chicken But i have ayam cemani's so quite happy as there gorgeous! Friendly, intelligent & inquisitive however prices are far more reasonable over here im also getting some yokohama bantam eggs noxt month 😉😆

Im not really sure? We have good variation but maybe a limited gene pool especially for rare breeds. But in general we do have good quality chucks. I mainly have x breeds (apart from my ayams) the gene pool is then divers and i get happy healthy chickens, im not really a breed snob id rather healthy any day . Thats why iv got my cemani's from 2 diffrent breeders and will introduce a 3rd next year. some breeds however you just cant get for love nor money like the ayam ketawa or phoenix chicken But i have ayam cemani's so quite happy as there gorgeous! Friendly, intelligent & inquisitive however prices are far more reasonable over here im also getting some yokohama bantam eggs noxt month 😉😆
AvGen Poultry has imported a few breeds from the UK into Australia. Including Vorwerks, Lakenvelders, Welsummers, French Marans, English Marans, Sumatras, Buff Orpingtons, Buff Cochins, White Cross Langshans and La Fleche. Shame they import any duck breeds, but biosecurity is pretty strict here.

AvGen Poultry has imported a few breeds from the UK into Australia. Including Vorwerks, Lakenvelders, Welsummers, French Marans, English Marans, Sumatras, Buff Orpingtons, Buff Cochins, White Cross Langshans and La Fleche. Shame they import any duck breeds, but biosecurity is pretty strict here.
Makes sense, since one disease can kill off the entire flock.

I have a single vorwork who i used to hatch my french copper maran. Althouh i wouldnt use her again as pretty much abandoned it except at night at 5 to 6 weeks😟. But i also have a wellsummer who has hatched 6 chicks and she is an uber mum 😄

Happy Birthday @chickentrains !

Althouh i wouldnt use her again as pretty much abandoned it except at night at 5 to 6 weeks
Pretty typical timing fora broody to wean her chicks.

Is having a broody hen worth it? I always incubate eggs. My own chickens will never brood because of the breed type.
It's an interesting experience, especially if you get set up so it's easy.
But it can be a real PITA too.
Personally I'd rather incubate.

Is having a broody hen worth it? I always incubate eggs. My own chickens will never brood because of the breed type.
This might depend on your set up and goals.

Raising chicks with a broody does not require electricity for incubating 3 weeks, nor does it require about 4-5 weeks of electric heat source.
She will take care of the chicks, warm and feed them, keep them entertained, prevent behavioral issues, protect them and educate them on how to be a chicken, something we as humans will never be able to do as well.

I prefer a broody, it not only saves money and a lot of time, but chicks raised by a broody seem to be less prone to predator fatalities, as they will not always be on the look out for their human instead of being watchful of possible predator attacks.

Back
Top Bottom