LGBTQ+ Poultry Keepers

My partner, D, is the sort that makes jokes about being pansexual meaning attracted to cookware. XD He'll be like "did you know I'm pansexual?" While cooking and hold up a copper bottom pan. Then be like "Oooh, that one's really hot ;)" while frying something. Or play the clip of Brok from Pokemon being like "I'll use my frying pan as a drying pan!" and be like "Get you a girl who can do both.".
I have to say, he sounds awesome

Hey all,
We have our first real snow of the winter and it is freezing cold outside. My chickens seemed to have survived the night but now dont want to come out of the coop to get their food and water. Should I move some food and water in temporarily? The cold is supposed to last through tonight and I was planning on going out every couple of hours to change the water. Any thoughts would be helpful

Hey all,
We have our first real snow of the winter and it is freezing cold outside. My chickens seemed to have survived the night but now dont want to come out of the coop to get their food and water. Should I move some food and water in temporarily? The cold is supposed to last through tonight and I was planning on going out every couple of hours to change the water. Any thoughts would be helpful
You should move their food inside for sure. Depending on how well ventilated your coop is you could move the water in but most folks say don't do it. Why? b/c the moisture from the poop and water increase the air moisture content which can lead to frrostbite in combs and wattles.
If the coop is well vented, I would move the water inside during the day but be sure to take it out at night. :)

Hey all,
We have our first real snow of the winter and it is freezing cold outside. My chickens seemed to have survived the night but now don't want to come out of the coop to get their food and water. Should I move some food and water in temporarily? The cold is supposed to last through tonight and I was planning on going out every couple of hours to change the water. Any thoughts would be helpful

Ok, so, I might not and here's why.

If your coop is XXL it'll be fine for them to stay in it all winter. But if it isn't they may get crowded and not want to come out and may stress fight. Also if you don't wanna move the water in for frostbite concerns but do move the food in they probably won't come out to drink much and may get dehydrated.

I find my chickens are healthier and fight less when they're coming out through the winter. So I clear a patch of snow for them (we're in the snow belt) so they don't have to walk knee-deep in the snow just to come out, maybe throw some straw or old hay down, and make them come out if for no other reason than to eat and drink. They usually don't want to the first couple times and then they get over it and they're outside every day all winter long, even tromping through the snow sometimes.

So this really depends on your stocking density, flock dynamics and management preferences. But I don't bring it in.
snowbirds.png

Thanks @ChocolateMouse. I have not put anything in yet but they still haven't ventured out. If they don't, can they survive the day without water? That's really my only worry as after tonight tomorrow warms back up into the high 40s and 50s.

One day without food or water won't hurt an otherwise healthy animal. My only concern would be if they're already sick or something. But if the cold is only setting in for one day it would be easy to put a little food in the coop for just one day if you're worried.

Back
Top Bottom