LGBTQ+ Poultry Keepers

Apologies to the thread I haven't ghosted you all. Just we have so many threads that are very active on BYC, and I have my priorities. Today I received my USPS Jeeps in the mail and had to wait on hold for 45 minutes but am getting a brand new lawn mower sent out vs. driving 30 miles for warranty repair. I will take that as a huge win. Now I will have 2 mowers and possibly bonus batteries and charger once I drive to the authorized repair center and pay to get it fixed, it is only 30 miles away. Not worried about USPS but small dollar donors help our own personal causes more than we think.

The ACLU has been surprised by so many of our struggles at the money they get from time to time. So many of DW's friends are still waiting on their USPS Jeeps. Keep up the good fight! Please keep those fights going viral so we can change a broken system together. Just a couple of days until the 100 year aniversary of American women getting the right to vote I saw that on the USPS forever stamp site as well today.

IMG_6996.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah it's a big anniversary. I was pondering the stamps the USPS had for it.
Though, I suspect in this thread it's worth noting it comes with a large caveat of SOME women. My great-great-great grandma wouldn't be able to vote when it happened for four more years because she was "Non American" native (IE, she was living in a tribe) and black ladies and many others wouldn't get that right until '65.

Still, being like 95% white meself at this point, I will take this and remember that we still have work to do. It was historic and it matters.

Yeah it's a big anniversary. I was pondering the stamps the USPS had for it.
Though, I suspect in this thread it's worth noting it comes with a large caveat of SOME women. My great-great-great grandma wouldn't be able to vote when it happened for four more years because she was "Non American" native (IE, she was living in a tribe) and black ladies and many others wouldn't get that right until '65.

Still, being like 95% white meself at this point, I will take this and remember that we still have work to do. It was historic and it matters.
Yep welcome to the land of inequality and difficult struggles. It sent my mind back into time too.

Yep welcome to the land of inequality and difficult struggles. It sent my mind back into time too.

For sure. Gets me thinking about Simone De'Beauvoir a lot. She really changed the way discourse around women was thought about and empowered a lot of unhappy people. It also makes me think about how we're making enough changes to move past her more militant ideals and VERY slowly towards a time when people can just pick for themselves to be themselves as long as they're trying to be good people. I hope by the time I'm old and grey I feel comfortable enough in my rights and society to let those harsher ideas go.

She wrote a lot of her biggest works nearly 100 years ago.

Also she was poly, which holds a little shining place in my queer-poly heart.

For sure. Gets me thinking about Simone De'Beauvoir a lot. She really changed the way discourse around women was thought about and empowered a lot of unhappy people. It also makes me think about how we're making enough changes to move past her more militant ideals and VERY slowly towards a time when people can just pick for themselves to be themselves as long as they're trying to be good people. I hope by the time I'm old and grey I feel comfortable enough in my rights and society to let those harsher ideas go.

She wrote a lot of her biggest works nearly 100 years ago.

Also she was poly, which holds a little shining place in my queer-poly heart.
I must admit I am not familiar with her work. After all I was just a stupid and used soldier of the state but DW completed my education on priorities. Can you recommend a reading list after all Covid gives me time to read now? I'll check back in the AM as we have a rally to go to in the morning and I need a bit of sleep. I will just be a stupid white looking guy shaking a sign and chanting along for this so just another useful idiot supporting the USPS. The last one she drug me off too got me to be able to meet Amy Goodman from Democracynow.org so it was worth it.

Last edited:
I must admit I am not familiar with her work. After all I was just a stupid and used soldier of the state but DW completed my education on priorities. Can you recommend a reading list after all Covid gives me time to read now? I'll check back in the AM as we have a rally to go to in the morning and I need a bit of sleep. I will just be a stupid white looking guy shaking a sign and chanting along for this so just another useful idiot supporting the USPS.

Oh! Uh, lemme consult with some of my more diverse pals and get back to you on it! :O I wanna make sure I'm giving you things that aren't too dry/single perspective to read. I'm all about accessibility and how digestible information is.

But for reference, Simone's a french philosopher/writer and largely considered the mother to womens' rights and suffrage internationally. She wrote a huge number of extremely famous academic works on topic ranging from mathamatics, feminism to economics and race and war and others all while not being legally allowed to vote in her own country. (She wouldn't be granted that right until 1944.) She rolled with two of the biggest names in french philosophy and managed to carve herself a place in male-oriented discourse through mostly passion and brilliance.
I'd start by just reading the wiki page about her life. :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simone_de_Beauvoir

So, I am not gay myself, but have had birds who completely affirmed for me that gay is totally a thing.

Also, have had human friends who are gay and human friends who are bisexual, but because I am so into birds and not so much into humans, the gay birds totally affirmed for me that gay is a TOTALLY REAL THING.

Looking back on this as a human, I am sorry that I was so stupid about sexuality.

Things are looking dreadful over here. Just went out and the 3 last duck eggs that the broody hen has been sitting on are slightly ice cold. Only one of them was looking great but now I've lost hope that it'll hatch. I think our broody hen has decided to quit so I'm not sure what to do because we don't have an incubator.
We're on day 18.

Back
Top Bottom