LF Salmon Faverolles, what traits to breed for.

Mr MKK FARMS

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Sep 27, 2012
Hello breeders,

I am currently working on my LF Salmon Faverolles for showing and although I have a Standard of Perfection, I am not quite sure what the most important traits to breed for are. Any input or tips on breeding will be welcomed.

Mitch

Last edited:
Correct amount of toes and fluffy beards. Nice round body. I don't show but own a show quality fav.
:)

Thanks. I have the right number of toes in all of my birds but the beards and round body I could always work on. Anything else?

So, take you Standard and go outside and sit with you birds. If they're not at least 6 months old; then wait until they're six months old.

Once they're six months old or older, just go sit with them. Read the SOP line by line, and at each line consider your stock. Every single line in your SOP is a trait for which you should be breeding. Consider your birds in relationship to every single line. For each trait, assign a
yesss.gif
or a
hu.gif
or a
hit.gif
. That will tell you where your birds are at, and what you need to select for.

If you want to be successful, begin to attend APA/ABA sanctioned shows and ask judges and breeders to help you understand your birds.

Now, the question is, where did you get your stock?

So, take you Standard and go outside and sit with you birds.  If they're not at least 6 months old; then wait until they're six months old.

Once they're six months old or older, just go sit with them.  Read the SOP line by line, and at each line consider your stock.  Every single line in your SOP is a trait for which you should be breeding.  Consider your birds in relationship to every single line.  For each trait, assign a :yesss:  or a :confused:  or a :hit .  That will tell you where your birds are at, and what you need to select for.  

If you want to be successful, begin to attend APA/ABA sanctioned shows and ask judges and breeders to help you understand your birds.

Now, the question is, where did you get your stock?

Thank you, I guess this applies for any breed really... I got my stock from a local breeder who has been showing and breeding for years. His stock is pretty good from what I have seen.

Thank you, I guess this applies for any breed really... I got my stock from a local breeder who has been showing and breeding for years. His stock is pretty good from what I have seen.

Then you're in good hands. Attend those shows and others will help to train your eyes to see what you need to. However, memorize the standard for your breed, and pay close attention to the first 40 pages. When you go out to your birds, study them point by point by point until you start to see them as an ensemble of traits that constitutes a Faverolles.

Be aware of the scale of points in the SOP as well to help to build up some priorities in your observations.

It really comes down to time on task and developing a picture in your mind of what it means to see a Faverolles that meets the standard description.

Then you're in good hands.  Attend those shows and others will help to train your eyes to see what you need to.  However, memorize the standard for your breed, and pay close attention to the first 40 pages.  When you go out to your birds, study them point by point by point until you start to see them as an ensemble of traits that constitutes a Faverolles. 

Be aware of the scale of points in the SOP as well to help to build up some priorities in your observations.

It really comes down to time on task and developing a picture in your mind of what it means to see a Faverolles that meets the standard description.

Yeah. Is there a list or something in the book that shows the individual points?

Back
Top Bottom