Layout for 2-acre homestead

What livestock do you want to get? have you decided yet?
Are you talking City Ordinances or Homeowners Association?
Do you have young kids - sometimes you can get variance for 4-H projects for livestock...
Stocking rates for animals varies by area. Wisconsin is about 1 acre per cow/calf but Wyoming is 40 acres per cow/calf - more in some areas.

I like your shed! looks nice

Last edited:
What livestock do you want to get? have you decided yet?
The only livestock I am interested in would be goats / sheep. IN the future, maybe miniature cows, but nothing like horses, full grown angus, etc.

Are you talking City Ordinances or Homeowners Association?
This is a city ordinace / regulation.

Do you have young kids - sometimes you can get variance for 4-H projects for livestock...
My whole purpose is to not only become more self-reliant, but also educate myself, and my daughter and wife. I feel they (especially my daughter) would benefit greatly in a heightened appreciation of nature, and not depending on a grocery store for everything.

Stocking rates for animals varies by area. Wisconsin is about 1 acre per cow/calf but Wyoming is 40 acres per cow/calf - more in some areas.
No idea about this. I will check it out.

I like your shed! looks nice

Even only being able to raise chickens, you can do quite a bit. Raise both meat and egg birds. If you are not restricted to only chickens, dabble with some more exotic fowl.

Stocking rates are driven by annual rainfall, soil type, temps, terrain, length of growing season... In KY, you have some of the most ideal growing conditions so your rates will be highest.

Last edited:
Even only being able to raise chickens, you can do quite a bit. Raise both meat and egg birds. If you are not restricted to only chickens, dabble with some more exotic fowl.
Once I calmed down, I started to think the same thing. Chickens do provide for a lot of the opportunity I was looking for,

Stocking rates are driven by annual rainfall, soil type, temps, terrain, length of growing season... In KY, you have some of the most ideal growing conditions so your rates will be highest.
Well, the bottom of my yard is in a flood-plain...lol Having adequate water-flow is not a issue. Too much water...often is.

I am working on some things to modify the legislation for allowance of livestock. It will be a long process, but who knows. With this in mind, i am continuing my planning. Worst case, I will still have my chickens...:)

Anyhow, I modified the layout of my pastures. I am now going to use a single LARGE pasture, but broken into 2 smaller sections. Each one will be approximately 1/2 acre. The red marks indicate gates to be installed. I am setting it up so my existing gate gains me access to these two sections. Right next to the barn is going to be the paddock. I thought that using this as a entry point made most sense. The entry into either pasture is "right there."

The blue portion will be cleared and unused. I may see with wheat grass, or let it be as-is. The clovers and natural wheat grass would provide for excellent supplemental feed.

Thoughts?

What about installing permanent fencing around the perimeter of the entire area and use a movable electric fence for rotational grazing within those boundaries? The premise is to section off an area for grazing, then when that area is grazed down to a minimum height you move the animals to the next area and let the previous area rest and regrow. You can vary the size of the grazing area to the conditions of the grass. It is probably way too intensive for a parcel your size, but I may try that for our 12 acres of pasture if I ever try raising more than one or two beefers at a time.

What about installing permanent fencing around the perimeter of the entire area and use a movable electric fence for rotational grazing within those boundaries? The premise is to section off an area for grazing, then when that area is grazed down to a minimum height you move the animals to the next area and let the previous area rest and regrow. You can vary the size of the grazing area to the conditions of the grass. It is probably way too intensive for a parcel your size, but I may try that for our 12 acres of pasture if I ever try raising more than one or two beefers at a time.
It is a great idea, but way too labor-intensive for such a small parcel (1.5acres). That's what if I rotate from .5ac to .5 ac, it should be enough. Besides, we are talking about a handful of goats, supplemented with feed. They won't kill off a .5ac parcel too quickly.

i remembered the small acreage after I typed it up, but I posted anyway incase anyone who is reading this thread could use the info. at 1/2 acre, you may need to pen them out of the pasture occasionally to keep the grass alive.
Don't underestimate the power of goats to mess up a pasture.

i remembered the small acreage after I typed it up, but I posted anyway incase anyone who is reading this thread could use the info. at 1/2 acre, you may need to pen them out of the pasture occasionally to keep the grass alive.
Don't underestimate the power of goats to mess up a pasture.

True enough. I guess my point was with access to 2-.5 acre plots, plus whatever supplement feed, hay, straw, or even vegetables, they should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom