Laying Doubles

PreChickenLady

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2015
I have one chicken who started laying on Christmas who consistently lays double yolk eggs. She will lay a double at least once a week and this week I have gotten two doubles since Friday. Is there something that I can/should do to help this from happening because I cannot imagine that it is fun laying such big eggs.

Some hens just do that, especially during this time of year as Spring is approaching, and laying is revving up. What are you feeding them and what breed, it could be an instance where a less rich diet will slow down the release of ovums. Otherwise I think as the season progresses you might see less of them.

She is a red-sex linked and I just transitioned them to an organic layer feed since all my hens are now laying. She has been doing this since she started laying when they were still just on a grower feed and I had oyster shell/ground egg shells as a calcium supplement.

The sex link part is probably the reason, they lay a lot very early in life. It might slow down or it might be what she does, I wouldn't worry too much, double yolk eggs are considered good luck.

Back
Top Bottom