Late Blooming Cockerel?

skullgrrrl

Crowing
11 Years
Sep 10, 2012
My Coop
My Coop
I had 8 chicks from a fall hatch. I was easily able to determine which ones were cockerels and rehomed them. I kept the 3 pullets and what I thought was one cockerel, hoping to rehome him in the future.

I say cockerel because it was one of the larger chicks, with a bigger comb and legs when they were all young chicks. As time goes by, I’m doubting myself. At 21 weeks the four now have the same size body and legs (when I would expect a cockerel to be significantly bigger than his sisters). The three girls’ wattles and combs are much brighter. One started to lay this week. The cockerel hasn’t attempted to crow but that’s not surprising as they are housed with my main flock and rooster (their dad) and he might be trying to fly under the radar. I have seen the rooster show ‘interest’ in two of the sisters, but doesn’t pay much attention (one way or the other) to this bird.

I know frizzles are hard to sex and it was difficult to photograph their feathers, but I don’t see any pointed hackle or saddle feathers yet. Is this a late blooming cockerel or a pullet?

Attachments

• DSCF4447.jpg
    DSCF4447.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCF4443.jpg
    DSCF4443.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF4445.jpg
    DSCF4445.jpg
    618.5 KB · Views: 20

Back
Top Bottom