Large HOT lump next to my hen's crop

Graceamjaf

Hatching
May 23, 2020
My 10 month old barred rock stopped laying about a week ago. She became lethargic and has a large bump on her tail end which I originally thought was a bound egg- it was not. I was soaking her in a warm tub the other day (when I still thought she was egg bound) and found a large and very warm lump by her crop area.
It looks like the feathers around it have started coming out- it looks like there are scabs around it but she does not seem to be in any pain when I press on it.
She has been isolated from the rest of the flock for about a week, I took her food away yesterday morning in an attempt to remedy a sour crop but I am pretty sure that is not what the problem is. She has become less lethargic the past few days but is still not her normal self.
I'm not sure what else to do. Is it a tumor?

My 10 month old barred rock stopped laying about a week ago. She became lethargic and has a large bump on her tail end which I originally thought was a bound egg- it was not. I was soaking her in a warm tub the other day (when I still thought she was egg bound) and found a large and very warm lump by her crop area.
It looks like the feathers around it have started coming out- it looks like there are scabs around it but she does not seem to be in any pain when I press on it.
She has been isolated from the rest of the flock for about a week, I took her food away yesterday morning in an attempt to remedy a sour crop but I am pretty sure that is not what the problem is. She has become less lethargic the past few days but is still not her normal self.
I'm not sure what else to do. Is it a tumor?
Sour crop would be very obvious; the crop would be mushy and full after hours of no food or water - and will have a horrific smell emulating from the beak. I’m wondering if the lump you found is an abscess from a feather that had a hard time growing out....

Back
Top Bottom