Large breeding BBB

brettshomestead

Chirping
Nov 27, 2016
Central oklahoma
Until this coming spring I'm planning to save a couple thousand+ to build a large breeding setup for Amuricana chickens. I'm still working out how I want to set it up any ideas? I'm definitely am adding auto waterers, and I already have 3 small incubators. I would like to be able to keep an eye on lineage and possible keep up to 50-100 grow out birds, and breeders along with plenty of chicks. Any ideas, or suggestions? Just for reference I'm in central oklahoma, and free range is out of the question.

Okay, I edited this several times.

The simpler the better. I would take a look at horse barn plans, check out a book or two on the subject.

Also, you will want shelves to put show cages on. This is both to practice for show (advertising) and to store roosters. Some people swap them out to keep them 'keen'.

Lineage can be tracked by using numbered wingbands. I would suggest purchasing a DVD of 'Chicken People' and observing their setups. They are all pro breeders.

Last edited:
Okay, I edited this several times.

The simpler the better. I would take a look at horse barn plans, check out a book or two on the subject.

Also, you will want shelves to put show cages on. This is both to practice for show (advertising) and to store roosters. Some people swap them out to keep them 'keen'.

Lineage can be tracked by using numbered wingbands. I would suggest purchasing a DVD of 'Chicken People' and observing their setups. They are all pro breeders.
What is chicken people? Is it a series, or a documentary, etc. Also why horse barns? And any suggestions on where to get leg bands? I think I've seen them at atwoods, but we might have some at my job.

Chicken People is a documentary available on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Chicken-Peop...qid=1501168634&sr=8-2&keywords=Chicken+People

Horse barns because they are divided into stalls which are much like chicken breeder pens (some even have designs for run-like areas outside.)

Most big breeders like wing bands, which are permanent. As for legbands, you have several options:
  • Metal numbered bands
    • Expensive
    • Permanent
    • Most space for bird info
  • Plastic numbered bands
    • Inexpensive
    • Comes in multiple colors
    • Easily removed
  • Spiral bands
    • Not numbered
    • Easily removed
  • Ziptie bands
    • Numbered or non
    • Easily removed
    • Least expensive
Most hatcheries sell poultry ID, but this looks like a good site: http://www.poultrysupplies.org/identification-bands.html?p=1

Back
Top Bottom