Lap chicken?

Scareab

Songster
Dec 13, 2019
Dallas Texas
Hello!
I was wondering if anyone has a method of training their chickens to nest on my lap. My wyandotte Tiki sits on my lap and could care less of how you picked her up, but my flaverolle Kiwi is comfortable nesting pretty much anywhere else on me.
They are 7 weeks old
Tiki: blue laced red wyandotte
Kiwi: salmon flaverolle

Attachments

• DC267313-FB2B-439A-A676-8826FF8DAE78.jpeg
    DC267313-FB2B-439A-A676-8826FF8DAE78.jpeg
    520.6 KB · Views: 22
  • C03287AD-BC3B-4C92-8786-5A89C604DFF8.jpeg
    C03287AD-BC3B-4C92-8786-5A89C604DFF8.jpeg
    336.8 KB · Views: 9
I have had several brooder reared chickens that would settle on my lap to loaf. Nesting is a very different behavior and not likely what you want.

I suggest getting live meal worms and use them as an enticement. You want bird totally relaxed while feeding. Then you want bird relaxed enough to doze off, ideally without being confined by your handling it. Avoid grabbing bird, ideally it comes to you under its own power and because it wants to.

Process can also be done with hen-reared chickens although that does not appear to be your starting point.

I have had several brooder reared chickens that would settle on my lap to loaf. Nesting is a very different behavior and not likely what you want.

I suggest getting live meal worms and use them as an enticement. You want bird totally relaxed while feeding. Then you want bird relaxed enough to doze off, ideally without being confined by your handling it. Avoid grabbing bird, ideally it comes to you under its own power and because it wants to.

Process can also be done with hen-reared chickens although that does not appear to be your starting point.
Thank you! And yes I just want them to potat on my lap. I’ll avoid grabbing bird and get mealworms ready!

Back
Top Bottom