Landrace/adaptive breeding discussion

Mine make use of more than five acres, less than thirty - and as @Ridgerunner expressed, the tribe thing is a definite reality. I find that my Roos each stake out a territory/feeding ground, then call for the hens to join them (usually between two and six answer the call). Occasionally, hens switch groups - Roos rarely switch territory unless I've culled on recently and remixed the flock dynamics.

These guys are from two different lines.

Jersey Giant x Rhode Island Red. His sons are currently being evaluated for behavior.
Screenshot_20240219_190605_Firefox.jpg

Bielefelder x Jersey Giant
1000000003.jpg

Mine make use of more than five acres, less than thirty - and as @Ridgerunner expressed, the tribe thing is a definite reality. I find that my Roos each stake out a territory/feeding ground, then call for the hens to join them (usually between two and six answer the call). Occasionally, hens switch groups - Roos rarely switch territory unless I've culled on recently and remixed the flock dynamics.
That's a lot of space. How many birds, do you think?

I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it. My birds use less than half of my 3 acres, so I assumed I have sufficient space. I don't intend to go over 24 (not counting chicks) but currently have only six adults.

Thanks @LaurenRitz for starting this thread; it's got off to a very interesting start.

My flock has been free ranging dawn till dusk with secure overnight accommodation in Nestera coops since 2017. As free ranging was my intention from the start, and I had done some research before I got the first birds, I started with a landrace: 3 Swedish Flowers. In the early years I add two or more pullets of different rare breeds to add diversity to the gene pool, and to support breeders who are trying to preserve rare and heritage breed genes. Crested Cream Legbar, Rhode Island Red, Lavendar Araucana, Norfolk Grey, Silver Duckwing Welsumer, Barbezieux, Partridge Penedesenca, and most recently Braekel and Isabella Leghorn came in this way. The first 5 additional breeds arrived as 8 weeks olds, the rest as hatching eggs, as I became more aware of biosecurity issues. Initially I was thinking about dual-purpose birds, but I no longer wish to eat them, so egg laying, broodiness in some, predator-awareness and evasion, and foraging ability/bug control are the desiderata here now.

The Swedish Flowers and the Penedesencas have thrived. The others have not done so well, though many of them have contributed to the bloodline of one or more members of the current flock. They have got better at free ranging year on year, and I have got better at providing what they need to do it successfully. They have about an acre to roam.

I do not medicate. I do not use chemicals in the garden. I do sow or plant plants shown to work therapeutically for various endo- and ecto-parasites, for the chickens to consume as and when they choose. I provide a chicken spa (made of repurposed doors, glass and leftover onduline) where they can dustbathe year round.
the chicken spa.JPG

I stopped giving commercial feed to adult birds in 2018 and to chicks in 2020; whether causal or coincidental, the health of the flock has improved markedly since then. I do not aim for them just to survive on a minimal input-minimal output model; I want a reasonable number of eggs, for it is the sale of surplus eggs that covers my costs. (I would be prepared to pay for them as a hobby, but they're even more fun when they're effectively free :D ) So I supplement their forage with breakfast and tea consisting of a homemade whole grain based feed, live mealworms, tinned sardines, and dairy in various forms, amongst other things, described and explained here.

Their camouflage is good. There are 7 birds in this picture.
my junglefowl.jpg

The Swedish Flowers are well hidden in dappled shade. None have gone broody - which may explain why they became so rare - but other birds have incubated their eggs.
P1120305 small.JPG

The Partridge Penedesencas blend in to most backgrounds and have passed on flightiness, broodiness, and their plumage to most recent offspring.
Puffin n Polka moulting.JPG

Such as these, both 50% Penedesenca, 50% other. They fly quite well too. When I started out I let birds roost in trees, but they come down too early and get predated. So I encourage them to roost in the coops.
Rhondda Oxwich tree huggers.JPG

But this one went broody in a flowerpot, and successfully incubated a single egg there and raised her chick outdoors 24/7, for 6 weeks, till I managed to persuade them into a coop. I'm pleased to say the chick is now laying (in a coop) and has gone broody (in a nest box).
Polka Fez hatch.JPG

All chicks are raised by broodies with the flock. There have been no chick casualties as a result of this. Other flock members are interested in the chicks and the dominant male is quick to imprint on them, but thereafter the broody and her chicks go their own way on foraging 101, with or without an attendant subordinate male, while the rest of the flock goes about its normal daily routines. My broodies commonly remain with their chicks for 3 months or more.
Janeka moult 23.JPG

My flock has grown to nearly 30 members at its maximum. It has not divided into subgroups despite there being multiple roos. It may divide into foraging parties of half a dozen or so, but parties are flexible and all come together for breakfast, tea, and to roost. The coops are moved regularly but always placed near one another.
4 coops.JPG

How do you handle the free ranging thing with broodies and chicks? I leave out commercial food for the broodies and their babies, but the other birds eat it, which rather negates the point of free range.

I give the adults a grain-based feed in the afternoon, but the hatchlings need something smaller, don't they? And food available all day?

I leave out commercial food for the broodies and their babies, but the other birds eat it, which rather negates the point of free range.
I made a creep feeder. Think something to keep the feed dry with an opening the chicks can get through but not the adults. My broody hens cannot get in it to eat but they bring the chicks to it a couple of times a day. That might be because it is near where they sleep.

How do you handle the free ranging thing with broodies and chicks? I leave out commercial food for the broodies and their babies, but the other birds eat it, which rather negates the point of free range.

I give the adults a grain-based feed in the afternoon, but the hatchlings need something smaller, don't they? And food available all day?
timing. The broody keeps her chicks in or near the coop or takes them foraging straight away, until the rest have finished breakfast at the feed station and gone to rest and digest somewhere. If they free range, they have food available all day; they just have to find it, and mom shows them where to go and what to look for. I take out the homemade chick feed or bowl of little mealworms when the coast looks clear (being careful to evade the cleverest hen, who has been a broody several times and knows what's coming, so may be lurking near the chicks to crash the party).

I've come to realize that the chicks only need small particles for the first few days. They are very soon helping themselves to the adult feed, and I've found the adults are surprisingly tolerant of newly hatched chicks walking all over the food bowl. E.g.
P1100430.JPG

Back
Top Bottom