kitty litter boxes as nest boxes?

We used kitty litter boxes, as noted above (the Tidy Cats ones) as an interim nest box. They loved them. We arranged 3 on a wooden "stand" to keep them from tipping and I added curtains across the front. They like the security of having the "roof" over head.
When we put up the big raised nest boxes, these were still the favorite for a long time, with one very determined broody deciding that this was going to be where she hatched a clutch of eggs.
If you get actual kitty litter boxes, make sure to get one that has a roof (not open), as that will help them feel more secure, and provides that "dark, cozy" area they look for. They might have to duck to get in, but in my experience, they don't mind that, so long as once they snuggle in, they have an inch or two clearance.
Another great option is using a 5-gallon paint bucket. You can buy them for a couple buck at a farm supply store. You just cut part of the lid off to provide a lip to hold the bedding in.
I'm a big fan of using a plastic liner or nest box. If an egg gets broken, or if someone poos, or if someone tracks mud in on a rainy day, you can clean them in a flash and not have to replace them or deal with the mess lingering. :)

I line my nest boxes with a folded feed bag; bag get soiled pop out the soiled pop in the new. My feed bags are woven synthetic material and in below zero temperatures soiled issues just pop off with a slight tug and they stay cleaner longer.

EASY PEASY!

This is my new coop.... Suggestions greatly appreciated....

We used kitty litter boxes, as noted above (the Tidy Cats ones) as an interim nest box. They loved them. We arranged 3 on a wooden "stand" to keep them from tipping and I added curtains across the front. They like the security of having the "roof" over head.
When we put up the big raised nest boxes, these were still the favorite for a long time, with one very determined broody deciding that this was going to be where she hatched a clutch of eggs.
If you get actual kitty litter boxes, make sure to get one that has a roof (not open), as that will help them feel more secure, and provides that "dark, cozy" area they look for. They might have to duck to get in, but in my experience, they don't mind that, so long as once they snuggle in, they have an inch or two clearance.
Another great option is using a 5-gallon paint bucket. You can buy them for a couple buck at a farm supply store. You just cut part of the lid off to provide a lip to hold the bedding in.
I'm a big fan of using a plastic liner or nest box. If an egg gets broken, or if someone poos, or if someone tracks mud in on a rainy day, you can clean them in a flash and not have to replace them or deal with the mess lingering. :)

Hi there,
We have a ton of these exact buckets (and we re-use them for everything, let me tell you they are handy!) We were thinking of using them as the nest boxes, but were worried since the dimensions don't quite come to the suggested 12x12x12.
Anyone know if they are worth trying anyway? We'd be having larger-ish breeds of chickens (RI Reds, Barred Rocks, Australorps).
We are getting our first chickens in the coming weeks, and we are tricking out our "new" coop in the meantime (an used children's wooden playhouse we are re-doing, a post to come with before and after, I'm sure!)

Hi there,
We have a ton of these exact buckets (and we re-use them for everything, let me tell you they are handy!) We were thinking of using them as the nest boxes, but were worried since the dimensions don't quite come to the suggested 12x12x12.
Anyone know if they are worth trying anyway? We'd be having larger-ish breeds of chickens (RI Reds, Barred Rocks, Australorps).
We are getting our first chickens in the coming weeks, and we are tricking out our "new" coop in the meantime (an used children's wooden playhouse we are re-doing, a post to come with before and after, I'm sure!)

Thes work out just fine, size wise. The hen pictured is an Australorp. But my Marans (who's even bigger) likes them, too. As do my Orpingtons. One actually hatched a batch of chicks in one of these nest boxes, too. There is plenty of room for them to get in and out, but still feel snug. The only drawback is that they need to be either fit into a frame or weighted down so they don't tip when the hens are getting in and out.
What a great idea using a play house! I'll bet that's going to turn out super-cute!!

Thes work out just fine, size wise. The hen pictured is an Australorp. But my Marans (who's even bigger) likes them, too. As do my Orpingtons. One actually hatched a batch of chicks in one of these nest boxes, too. There is plenty of room for them to get in and out, but still feel snug. The only drawback is that they need to be either fit into a frame or weighted down so they don't tip when the hens are getting in and out.
What a great idea using a play house! I'll bet that's going to turn out super-cute!!

Thanks so much for the info and tips! It's great to be able to re-purpose stuff we already have.

Thanks so much for the info and tips! It's great to be able to re-purpose stuff we already have.

Sorry, I just remembered one random thing about using these that I thought you'd find helpful...
Just wanted to add that they can also FLIP, not just tip. One of my hens -- and I'll be honest, she's one of my "sweet stinkers" who are exceptionally curious and prone to mischief -- got stuck under one of these for several hours when it flipped over on top of her and she couldn't get out. I found her when I was closing up the coop for the night and came up one short when I did my head count. She's ok (though since it was winter, she needed a little TLC that evening to warm back up and defrost her feathers) but it happened because I didn't weigh the box down. I can't believe I forgot all about it when replying earlier... Anyway, it's just a good thing to keep in the back of your mind when deciding how to utilize them. :)

Back
Top Bottom