Kitsap County, Washinton

Selena

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Port Orchard, WA
My neighbor across the street ( I'll call her "Peggy") is having issues with their backyard neighbors (who we ALL have issues with) and the jerky neighbor decided to complain about Peggy's 6 10-week-old pullets. The Jerks actually screamed at her "YOU CAN'T HAVE CHICKENS IN THE CITY!"

First of all, we are outside of city limits. Secondly, these birds have the cleanest and most protective setup I've seen. Thirdly, out of our entire neighborhood, this is the first time anyone has had an issue (and I've had roosters, AND there was a chicken farm less than a half mile down the road only a few years ago. Also, the other neighbors miss my roo so much, they begged me to get another!)

So, Peggy went to find the codes. When the inspector came by, not only was she ready for him, but he was impressed at her coop, knowledge and whatnot.

If The Jerks wanna bark, here's what Peggy found, and I'm sharing it with you all so you know.

"15. The number of animals on a particular property shall not exceed one large livestock, three small livestock, five ratites, six small animals, or twelve poultry"

Also,

"No feeding area or structure or building used to house, confine, or feed livestock, small animals, ratites, or poultry shall be located closer than one hundred feet to any residence on adjacent property located within rural wooded, rural protection, rural residential zones, or within two hundred feet of any residence on adjacent property within any other zone; provided, a pasture (greater than 20,000 square feet) shall not be considered a feeding area."

It's nice to have the law on your side.
wink.png

I'm glad the jerky neighbor didn't get his way.

Normally I wouldn't get too involved (I like peace with my neighbors) but this family is horrid. Plus the fact I have my own flock makes me a bit leery.

I don't know why this guy bothers to try to sic the county on "Peggy" all the time. It usually ends in no problem for "Peggy", but ends with the county finding things The Jerk has done wrong and fining him for his non-permitted buildings and such.
lol.png

Perhaps he should just either follow the letter of the law, or just shut up like some of the rest of us do.

We live in silverdale and I have been looking at tons of coop designs. I have an area that I would like to place a coop and a run. am planning to start with 6 hens for eggs only but want to build to accommadate up to a dozen if needed. In this area is an insulated coop needed ? anyone have pictures or plans for a coop that is large enough for a dozen hens ? Any help would be great.

Mike and Sylvia,

I found this website in Silverdale.
http://www.chickencoopdesign.com/SilverdaleWashingtonchickencoops
I know they look pricy but you can get some ideas from the pictures.

For me, my shop was going to trash a metal 8X6 cage. My plan is to convert this into a coop. Just a plan.

I am not quite in Silverdale, yet. But I am relocating there in a few weeks. I did some research and I can't find any backyard chicken laws in Silverdale. There are laws in Bremerton but I was wondering if you know if Silverdale falls under the same laws or if there are any backyard chicken laws in Silverdale at all. Can you help me out?

Thanks.

Alvin

Hi,

I live in Manchester on about 0.75 acres. I'm trying to find the specific laws or codes for that size of land. Can you help me out? I have 2 hens, 12 eggs incubating, rabbits (6 adults & kits between 4 days and 9 weeks), a dog, and 2 outdoor/indoor cats. Specifically do you know if rabbits are considered small animals or poultry? I haven't found rabbits classified.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

L.

I have 12 chickens,and what we did was got an already existing "hutch" which was formerly a rabbit cage(wooden), and its approx. a 3x4 box. we put legs on it,and added a ladder and nesting boxes. the girls love it,and they are safe every night as it can be locked,and we also added a 4 wt. night light as well...with the pen,all we did was dig a 2 ft. deep trench around a 16x16 square patch of dirt. like a mote....then took cyclone fencing all the way around it,and sunk it in cement with 4x4's as supporting poles.
then did the same over the top,but put a center pole(metal) in the middle of it and now its called our big top. not even a bear could get in there !! but we let them out into our garden every day for chucking grass,clover,bugs.etc.....
they are very content,and fun to watch and raise. we clean the hutch and pen daily,and tht way there are no grumpy neighbors to complain about any smell..... we love it. hope this helps

rainy hen lady

Back
Top Bottom