Kentucky people

I guess I should have looked at the date of the last posting before I responded. That issue may have been resolved long ago.

For any Kentuckians that see this, I am in Lexington. I am originally from the Southeast corner of the state, but live in the Bluegrass now. I travel over the entire state for work.

We are looking for a medium sized city for work.....something a little smaller than Bowling Green, with small farm towns around it.
Bowling Green looks a little too big and city like.....if that makes sense. Its hard to know what to do as we have not been yet, and cant go visit til we narrow the search down.

Last edited:
I am in Eastview. About halfway between Elizabethtown and Leitchfield on Hwy. 62. I have some white plymouth rocks and some buff orps. I would like to find some hatching eggs somewhere not too far away. Perry.
big_smile.png

Hi Lurky,
Being from the eastern part of the state I can say that unless you want to mine coal for a living, there is not much work there, very high unemployment rates (lots of chickens thou:D Lexington would be your best bet for employment (central).

gmc

Quote:
Thanks......but i already found that out
smile.png
I have searched the bowling green area, but i am now planning to start looking into lexington. I had originally NOT looked too much in that area because it seemed too expensive. But i am going to start over. I just dont want to be in or near the city. I want to find a country place with woods and land.....but close enough for my husband to find a decent job in a custom type wood shop that is big enough to have health ins. I have a customer who told me his friend moved to lexington and he went a few times to visit. He said it is a nice city anyway. So i took a week off my searching because i was getting tired of no accomplishments in the job area of the search. I will resume my search in the Lexington area.
Wendy

Lurky,

I live in Virginia now, but I'm from KY. Have you checked out Hazard? It's the biggest town in the eastern part of the state, and it's grown a lot since I left. I don't know a thing about custom wood shops, but there is a large mill there, Trus Joist. They employ a lot of people. They make lots of wood products. Just a thought.

Also, my mother lives in Lexington, and it is a very nice city. I love it there. Low crime, lots of stuff to do, really pretty place.

I just had a thought about your search for a new area in Kentucky. Perhaps your husband might find something in the state government. They have jobs posted on line. I'm not sure of the exact web site, bu it's something .ky.gov. - Kentuckysilkies might know. I think he works for the state. They do have insurance and benefits. The main offices are in Frankfort, but employment might be anywhere in the state. It might not hurt to take a look at the job postings and then if anything appealed to you, see where it is located. The counties are listed in the postings. Depending on what kind of commute you can stand, you could find some rural areas around Frankfort. As the crow flies, it' not far from me, but I can take backroads and be there in 20 minutes maybe. Just a thought.

I think there may be a state hiring freeze at the moment, but there should still be postings available, and will give you some ideas outside the box.

Yolonda

I have RIR bantams and largefowl - not sure what you want? Now is not the time to be looking for a rooster. I sold most of what I wanted to early in the Fall. I do have an extra largefowl cockerel, but he is worth $100 to me - probably not to you.

I do have a pair of late hatch RIR bantams that I would sell for $30. They are fully feathered and in an outdoor pen. I already have my breeding pens set up and I didn't use these younger birds.

Matt

New Here , 1st time poster .

Name is Sam Kendall . We own Wild West BBQ in Garfield Ky .

Great to see so many Kentuckians here .

I found this site on a gun forum that I am a member of .

I Cant wait to go sifting through the archives here .

We currently do not have any chickens . Our 1 year old akita went nuts one night and killed them all . We have since given him to a nice family and will be looking forward to re-stocking come spring .

We do still have a few reigning & trail horses . A few calves & a few house dogs . A red headed mexican parrot . And a haflinger .

We used to raise ostrich and emu's back in the 90's , but sold out when the market bottomed out .

Now we just raise about 20 yard birds for the eggs and enjoyment of it .

If any of you are close to garfield , and will have layers to sell come spring , please let me know ?

Great to be a new member here , I feel like it will be a joy to get to know you-all .

Sam

Back
Top Bottom