Keeping siblings - should I swap roos for unrelated roosters?

Kaurana

In the Brooder
May 7, 2020
Hi, we are increasing our flock and thus have new chicks. Of course, however, we have hens and roosters who are siblings (at least half-siblings since we only have 2 roosters)

Can my new/bigger flock be composed of these chicks or should I trade the baby roosters with someone so to not have roosters fertilizing eggs of their “sisters/half-sisters? Similarly, do I have to separate the “children hens” from their fathers so not to have that cross happening? (Please note we do hatch these eggs - they are not just for consumption!!!)

So, in general, how much genetic diversity should one bring into the flock and how often? Is it ok to leave related males/females together and hatch these eggs?

They are all egg layers of many breeds.
Thank you,
Thais

Found this article you might find interesting.
http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=28027

Inbreeding in itself isn't dangerous as long as it's not overdone. Since you start with many unrelated animals you could, with care, keep it going for quite a while without new animals. If you keep more than one rooster, you could do a spiral breeding program.
The common notion is that breeding parent to offspring is better than siblings. If you get any adverse genetic effects, you need to stop breeding those birds, obviously.

OH and when you get a rooster - get a good one, and pure as possible, will really add a great deal to a rag tag mixed flock. The chicks will be mixed obviously, but often times (in my experience, limited) good genes come out. So if egg laying is decreasing, get a rooster from egglaying breeds, if they are getting too scrawney, get a rooster with a bit of size in the breed.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom