Keeping chicks in rusty galvanized tub

andi6313

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
Georgia
I have a galvanized tub that is rusty inside. i was wondering if it would be safe keeping baby chicks in until they grow up to be put outside? I have sanded it down inside, washed and covered lightly in cooking oil to keep the rust from getting worse. Any thoughts? Please help. Thanks.
smile.png

I wouldn't use it either, you can use a large plastic tote or large cardboard produce container that contained watermelons or cantelope.
A swimming pool or a stock tank works well too.

You are going to have a blast raising chicks. They are fun to watch.

The rust won't hurt them, but the cadmium and zinc that have been released from the destruction of the plating are what could be a problem. It is a judgement call in terms of whether you believe the dust from the plating will harm the chicks, as they breathe it in or peck at it.

This is why the galvanized waterers should be thrown away after they rust, and why you should never put anything acidic like apple cider vinegar or medications in galvanized waterers (use plastic). The vinegar might liberate a toxic load of zinc which the chickens can ingest.

Personally I use galvanized tanks for starting chicks inside the house for the first few days, but mine aren't rusted. If they were rusted, I would use them anyways. That's just me. Rusty waterers, no!

http://www.ehow.com/info_8268053_safety-galvanized-watering-buckets-dogs.html

Last edited:
Thanks to all! I really didnt want to use it, but it was the only thing I have on hand to give the chicks room to run around. I have 10 chickens I purchased last spring and we kept them in a dog kennel until they were old enough to go outside (fully feathered), but it was really messy. We planned to get more this year. They are so sweet and are a big part of our family, we love them all very much! We have certainly enjoyed the very delicious fresh eggs and my family and friends too! Thank you for the advise, I won't use the tub as I don't feel safe doing so even more now. Thanks again! :)

Back
Top Bottom