Juvenile Chicks Eating Bark

My almost 4 week old chicks are now going into the run. They are picking/eating all sorts of stuff, but seem to be having a good time. I figure they will stop eating random things when they figure out it's not food. I'm not concerned with it though. If you think yours are eating too much bark, then remove the stick and replace with something else.

Are you giving then sand and granite grit? They may be wanting something rough for their gizzards.
Right now, the food I give them has grit in it, so I am not giving them anything additional yet. They move into their coop this weekend, so I will start to look into some of these options. That probably explains why they are so excited about bark lol

Right now, the food I give them has grit in it, so I am not giving them anything additional yet. They move into their coop this weekend, so I will start to look into some of these options. That probably explains why they are so excited about bark lol
Grit is listed in the ingredients? Only asking because I've seen people say their feed has grit in the past, but no one's actually posted an ingredient panel that mentions it being added in.

As far as the bark eating, it's possibly a variety of things: 1) it's new to them 2) there may be bugs under it which attracts them to stripping off the bark. I don't consider it an issue for chickens to eat some wood products (whether bark, wood shavings/chips, etc) as long as they don't eat it in excess.

Grit is listed in the ingredients? Only asking because I've seen people say their feed has grit in the past, but no one's actually posted an ingredient panel that mentions it being added in.

As far as the bark eating, it's possibly a variety of things: 1) it's new to them 2) there may be bugs under it which attracts them to stripping off the bark. I don't consider it an issue for chickens to eat some wood products (whether bark, wood shavings/chips, etc) as long as they don't eat it in excess.
Hmmmm... I would have to look at that. I read that if you are using Purina Start and Grow that grit was already in there for them. I hope it is!

Hmmmm... I would have to look at that. I read that if you are using Purina Start and Grow that grit was already in there for them. I hope it is!
Do you have the bag? Read the ingredient panel. I do not see any grit listed: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/purina-start-and-grow-5-lb

Never assume something is/isn't in feed. Best to always check nutrition panel and ingredient panel on the actual product for specifics.

If you do not have suitable rocky soil available, I would highly suggest buying a small bag of chick grit or grower grit (and sift out smaller pieces). It will last you through multiple batches of chicks and is super cheap insurance. Around 8 weeks of age you can graduate to grower grit.

grit2.png

Do you have the bag? Read the ingredient panel. I do not see any grit listed: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/purina-start-and-grow-5-lb

Never assume something is/isn't in feed. Best to always check nutrition panel and ingredient panel on the actual product for specifics.

If you do not have suitable rocky soil available, I would highly suggest buying a small bag of chick grit or grower grit (and sift out smaller pieces). It will last you through multiple batches of chicks and is super cheap insurance. Around 8 weeks of age you can graduate to grower grit.

View attachment 3491813
This is great advice - thank you so much! I do have rocky soil, so could I just add some in?

Back
Top Bottom