Just a quick medicine question....

One of my first chickens had a respiratory Disease and I was given medicine from the vet... She died sadly from worms :(

Now a frizzle I bought has it. I found the medicine that I used for my other chicken and it says " half a CC twice everyday... How many days? IF I can remember I THINK he said two weeks, but I could be wrong! Anyone know this answer? Would like to start treating him ASAP, but I need to know this first!

Thanks!

One of my first chickens had a respiratory Disease and I was given medicine from the vet... She died sadly from worms
sad.png

Now a frizzle I bought has it. I found the medicine that I used for my other chicken and it says " half a CC twice everyday... How many days? IF I can remember I THINK he said two weeks, but I could be wrong! Anyone know this answer? Would like to start treating him ASAP, but I need to know this first!

Thanks!
Your vet shouldve given you a wormer along with meds for the respiratory disease. I recommend you contact your vet and ask him for instructions. (You never mentioned the name of the meds!)

Having being a veterinary technician and also dealig with medicaitons on my own birds I may can help. On the baytril, it should be 0.4ML twice per day. This s the normal does for a normal sized bird (over 2 pounds) it is a very safe anitibiotic. On the worming quesiton, what is the wormer? Generally it is safe to give antibiotics and wormer together but at separate times. Has it been refrigerated (baytril) and how old is it? Use any antibiotic until you finish it.

Last edited:
If it was the tablet form made into a solution at the clinic it has a very short shelf life, probably no more than a few weeks at best. Medications made like that are unstable, and deteriorate much more quickly than those that are manufactured as a liquid.

Sometimes medications that are made from a powder have two expiration dates - one for the dry powder, and a second (and much shorter one) for after they are mixed into a liquid. It might be worth a call to your vet to check.

Back
Top Bottom