Japanese Quail With Puffy Face

Hybridchucks

Queen Of The Coop
7 Years
Jul 13, 2016
Burdsville
My Coop
My Coop
On the 18th I was given a pair of beautiful Japanese Quail, male and female. And I noticed the male has a slightly puffy face *above the eyes and below the eyes, also 'cheeks'* and was wondering if it was something I should be worried at. He is less active than her, for instance, he prefers to sleep in their hut rather than follow her around (she loves exploring).
Anything I should be worried about? :confused:
Here are a few pictures, not easy to see on camera, but easy in person. (Please excuse the white paint on their feathers :lol: The place they were before I had them, they got into a bit of wet paint. :rolleyes: Im sure when they molt the paint will go away.)
IMG_3638.jpg
IMG_3642.jpg
IMG_3637 (1).jpg
IMG_3641.jpg

I hope I'm not protecting onto the poor lil guy :lol: I just want them to be healthy and happy
(Ps they are not living in this small cage long at all, just getting their hutch sorted before we put them in, they also have ability to free range the living-room , Spoilt feathered rats :lau )
-Tov

You probably would have gotten a reply sooner if you'd posted this in the quail forum. I saw it on the new thread list on the main page, but have learned that most chicken people don't really have quail experience so the quail subforum is best to post any quail questions.

It looks to me like maybe he hit his head and it was a little swollen. I can tell this less from his head and more from the shape of his eye, because when mine do that (something scares them and they fly up, hit their head, and it causes a bruise/swelling) usually their top eyelids get pushed down while the head is swollen. He should be fine in a few days, nothing that I can see to worry about. I had one hit his head, get damaged, then get attacked by the other quail because they saw blood to the point it looked like his eyes were missing and his head was twice the size, and after a few days in a cage by himself he's back to looking like it never happened. They're tough little birds.

As far as females, it just depends on how well they get along. I've got a pair where the female will kill any other females I put in, because she's super protective of her man. I've got one male in with 4 females, one male in with 5 females, and a bachelor pen with just boys who were raised together. If you just want eggs for eating, you don't need a male at all. If you are wanting fertile eggs to hatch, I think 4-5 females should be fine. That mostly depends on your cage size also.

Okay, thank you, I will ask a mod to move it.
Thank you! hopefully its just that :)

Great! I just hope this female won't be so aggressive, she's very calm and placid.

Is he better?

Also, I don’t see why there’s a problem with not posting in the ‘quail’ formum, she posted here because it’s an ‘emergency/disease/injury’ and is looking for ‘cures’

Back
Top Bottom