ISO welsh harlequin ducks in texas

Everose, did you ever find any? Interested in this breed as well, and in the same general area.
I actually have some hatching today! I ordered them from @Smiles-N-Sunshine and they came well packed and unharmed. Out of fourteen only two were unfertile, I'm very happy with them.

Two girls and one boy so far, but that's by bill color, I'll vent sex them once they're out of the incubator.
IMG_20220405_192120935.jpg
IMG_20220307_111157557_HDR.jpg

Hi! Thanks so much for replying to my question. 😊

I was asking as a backup. Smiles-n-Sunshine sent us 14 eggs also (received Saturday), but it looks like most have detached air sacs. He has been GREAT to deal with, and apologetically said that he probably hadn't put as much padding on the top and bottom of the foam block with the eggs in it as they needed. It's a learning curve, and the post office can be a big gamble, of course. He offered a refund, but I'm babying these eggs as best as possible (incubating upright and turning very gently and minimally) and we will see what happens.

I was wondering if there was a more local source just in case we don't get many. Shipping can be so hard on them! But maybe it would make more sense to have him send more (better packed) if we get a dismal hatching rate. I think he just discovered a "special handling" option with USPS that is safer, too.

Would love to hear more about you hatch. Such a sweet photo! 🥰

I was asking as a backup. Smiles-n-Sunshine sent us 14 eggs also (received Saturday), but it looks like most have detached air sacs.
One or two of these eggs had wonky air cells, but that's from jostling during shipping, no matter how well packed rough handling will do that, most of them have developed perfectly and are hatching.
I know a lady around here who has a huge flock of welsh, and she breeds to the sop. I could see about getting her contact info for you.
The only reason I didn't buy from her again was because I noticed a few khaki colored ducks and a few yellow bills.
These are the first welsh I ever had from her.
20210204180324_IMG_0238.JPG

Ok, so that part about the wonky air cells is encouraging. And, yeah, shipping. I've only done chicken eggs from our own flock before...which is a best scenario situation.

Praying for these babies to be OK, and doing what we can. Grateful to have them. 😊

The khaki colors and yellow bills are interesting. Hmm... But they are still beautiful!

We are in Smith County, btw.

Ok, so that part about the wonky air cells is encouraging
I actually just checked and wrote down which ones were pipping and zipping, two of them had been marked down for weird air cells, but they're wiggling, chirping, and zipping now😄

I'll see if I can get that lady's number for ya, just in case😉

Hi Everose! We got 4 out of 14 -- looks like 3 drakelets and 1 ducklet, so that girl is going to need company! Not sure what happened. I did turn them on their sides to hatch, but it looks like you did, too. (We learn from experience, but it's painful when another creature gets impacted negatively by our ignorance...although it could simply have been the post office this time, y'know?) :(

The local-ish lady you bought WH from... Is she from the Gilmer/Diana area? Larkspur Farms? I just learned that she hatches WH on a rotating basis. It's possible that we have at least 2 females at this point, but I know a 50/50 ratio isn't good, and esp. not a 25/75 if the 75 part is male.

BTW, I believe 100% of the eggs were fertile, which is phenomenal.

Hi Everose! We got 4 out of 14 -- looks like 3 drakelets and 1 ducklet, so that girl is going to need company! Not sure what happened. I did turn them on their sides to hatch, but it looks like you did, too. (We learn from experience, but it's painful when another creature gets impacted negatively by our ignorance...although it could simply have been the post office this time, y'know?) :(

The local-ish lady you bought WH from... Is she from the Gilmer/Diana area? Larkspur Farms? I just learned that she hatches WH on a rotating basis. It's possible that we have at least 2 females at this point, but I know a 50/50 ratio isn't good, and esp. not a 25/75 if the 75 part is male.

BTW, I believe 100% of the eggs were fertile, which is phenomenal.
I had a drake heavy hatch as well, after vent sexing I have five males and three females. I think I missed sexing one though.
That ratio isn't ideal but 50/50 actually does work sometimes. It really depends on the drakes, but welshies are known for their high libido so more hens will be ideal😉

The lady I got my first welsh from was in the Kilgore area. She is also the person I got my saxony from, she raises numerous breeds of waterfowl as well as turkeys. I trust her to be an honest seller even to the detriment of her own stock, she'll tell you outright what their flaws are and what you'll have to breed for, and I really appreciate that.
I'll pm you the name of the lady who sold me my first welsh, she's a great seller, and I may be getting more from her as well. I'm trying to get her number for you atm.

Back
Top Bottom