Isa's Homestead Happenings and Hangout

I have never ordered chicks. I heard that there is a big chance that at least one will die in shipping. 😥
I have ordered chicks 3 times. I had one box where 2/3 where DOA.... which was pretty rough.
Otherwise every one was fine.
I did have one chick that managed to drown itself in the water feeder with in 5 minutes of me putting it into the brooder... But that was my fault, and not the hatchery.
I will say I think you have better luck when they chicks aren't exposed to blizzards.

.... I honestly think that a postal employee sprayed the chick box with a cleaner with a lot of ammonia. Of the chicks that survived, one is blind, and a couple died within a few days of originally getting them, with (as best I could tell) ammonia poisoning.

I have ordered chicks 3 times. I had one box where 2/3 where DOA.... which was pretty rough.
Otherwise every one was fine.
I did have one chick that managed to drown itself in the water feeder with in 5 minutes of me putting it into the brooder... But that was my fault, and not the hatchery.
I will say I think you have better luck when they chicks aren't exposed to blizzards.

.... I honestly think that a postal employee sprayed the chick box with a cleaner with a lot of ammonia. Of the chicks that survived, one is blind, and a couple died within a few days of originally getting them, with (as best I could tell) ammonia poisoning.
Why would they do that? 😭😭😭

That’s horrible!!!
Unfortunately, it's human nature. We're generally good as a species when people are watching, but if no one can see? That's when the real person comes out. A lot of people are just not great people inside, sadly. Combine that with terrible hours, poor morale, low pay, and a HS diploma (at best), and you're talking about a recipe for not caring. They're not all terrible, but it only takes that "one guy" to foul stuff up.

Unfortunately, it's human nature. We're generally good as a species when people are watching, but if no one can see? That's when the real person comes out. A lot of people are just not great people inside, sadly. Combine that with terrible hours, poor morale, low pay, and a HS diploma (at best), and you're talking about a recipe for not caring. They're not all terrible, but it only takes that "one guy" to foul stuff up.
That makes sense

Just like all carriers, USPS gives 0 craps about the safety of your package. Some person along the route not caring or understanding what cleaning solvents can do to animals is all it takes.
This.

I don't think they had any idea of what it would do. I think "ew chickens are dirty, better safe than sorry" happened.

And I got 26 dead chicks out of 40 and 2 more died with in a few days. I tried to save them, but they couldn't see out of one or both eyes. It was pretty heart breaking.

The one that is mostly blind now at least had vision to begin with, so she understands she needs to eat, and since I keep her in one of my sick pens, her environment stays the same now....

I don't think it was done on purpose, but chicks are pretty fragile, and sometimes a little bit of stupid goes a long way.

Tbf, my other theory is that some one out them directly inline with an exhaust pipe

Last edited:
This.

I don't think they had any idea of what it would do. I think "ew chickens are dirty, better safe than sorry" happened.

And I got 26 dead chicks out of 40 and 2 more died with in a few days. I tried to save them, but they couldn't see out of one or both eyes. It was pretty heart breaking.

The one that is mostly blind now at least had vision to begin with, so she understands she needs to eat, and since I keep her in one of my sick pens, her environment stays the same now....

I don't think it was done on purpose, but chicks are pretty fragile, and sometimes a little bit of stupid goes a long way.

Tbf, my other theory is that some one out them directly inline with an exhaust pipe
You’re trying to see the good in people and that’s wonderful. Unfortunately, these eyes have seen a lot and I tend to agree with Azure.

Back
Top Bottom