Isa's Homestead Happenings and Hangout

No, it wasn't. Have to give Michigan credit. Great defense.
I don't really follow sports, but I was sort of rooting for U/M. It was who my dad and brothers always rooted for. I went to college out of state, but took some summer classes at U/M while I was teaching. My husband would root for the Spartans....

Your IT department has no concept of how to balance security and functionality if they're recommending 50 character set passwords. Yes, long strings are harder to pop than shorter unbroken strings, but adding spaces increases complexity significantly. "My d0g ha5 f|eas" is just as safe as that monstrosity.

View attachment 3722405

View attachment 3722404

As someone who deals with this daily, I can tell you from experience people are way too busy to remember something that long 5 minutes after they set it, and having to type that out every time they need to log in or supply a password will be maddeningly frustrating. Especially if they have a typo in there some place 1 or 2 times.

We force minimum 15 characters with a space, a capital, a number, and a special character (!@#$%^&*()|) Etc.... For Super critical systems (like places where client info and financials are housed) we also use 2 factor auth. So you have to successfully enter a password and then a special code that is randomly generated.

Smarter, not harder.
The following screen actually covered that, 🤣I'm not sure who all designed this training unit but I don't think they read everybody's work.

I have been feeling so bad for the tiny finches and chickadees that have no food, so yesterday I scattered some scratch and some mealworms around my driveway. And look! I have a whole flock of customers, including a beautiful little cardinal! 🥰❤️
*The whole flock is not in the picture. These are just the ones that came into my viewfinder. 😂
View attachment 3722357
They're looking for a "cheep" meal

They're looking for a "cheep" meal
Judge Judy Eye Roll GIF

Your IT department has no concept of how to balance security and functionality if they're recommending 50 character set passwords. Yes, long strings are harder to pop than shorter unbroken strings, but adding spaces increases complexity significantly. "My d0g ha5 f|eas" is just as safe as that monstrosity.

View attachment 3722405

View attachment 3722404

As someone who deals with this daily, I can tell you from experience people are way too busy to remember something that long 5 minutes after they set it, and having to type that out every time they need to log in or supply a password will be maddeningly frustrating. Especially if they have a typo in there some place 1 or 2 times.

We force minimum 15 characters with a space, a capital, a number, and a special character (!@#$%^&*()|) Etc.... For Super critical systems (like places where client info and financials are housed) we also use 2 factor auth. So you have to successfully enter a password and then a special code that is randomly generated.

Smarter, not harder.

15 characters is 7 characters too much.
You monster!

15 characters is 7 characters too much.
You monster!
I'm with you, but in this case I don't get to make the decision. We're bound by PCI DSS rules (which is a data protection standard for credit card and personal info ) which dictate a minimum password length of at least 12 characters. We went with 15 as a future-proofng measure.

Back
Top Bottom