Isa's Homestead Happenings and Hangout

Granted, I did try to read it in the third grade. My reading level was like a 12.5. The librarian would bring me books from the public library so I'd have something to read since I couldn't read Hank the Cowdog and The Boxcar Children with the rest of the less intellectual students.
The Grinch Smiling GIF by The Good Films

Horrible. Will never read it. It is the dryest, most boring, horrible writing. If I wanted to read an entire paragraph about him pulling out his worn, brown leather wallet, cracked with age, pieces flaking off as he opened it to pull out a wrinkled note, soiled with filth from a brothel, and some other such nonsense I'd read my own flowery writing. Instead, I write it and curse the public at general to enjoy it.
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. I really dug the way Melville used whaling and the technology thereof as a parallel for.... Nvm. My geek is showing.

That book was one that changed my life. That, The Silmarillion, Dune, Lonesome Dove, Watership Down, Beowulf, the Bhagavad Gita, To Kill a Mockingbird, and The Phantom Tollbooth. And I teach British lit now, but my baby will always be American lit. Moby Dick is a seminal work in that canon (that was like a triple pun).

Granted, I did try to read it in the third grade. My reading level was like a 12.5. The librarian would bring me books from the public library so I'd have something to read since I couldn't read Hank the Cowdog and The Boxcar Children with the rest of the less intellectual students.

What? It's a meme!
73d93469071c003888b137c9882d24c1722972ad9014d132a88a706a97e39ce7_3.jpg
Brady Bunch K GIF

Funny coincidence -

Hubby and I drove to the Bay Area to see a concert back in the 90's, and we got there early because Bay Area traffic is a nightmare, so you have to leave super early so as not to hit a rush hour. We stopped at a coffee shop near the venue because we had 3 hours to spare. I took out my copy of Moby Dick. After a few minutes, I looked up and asked hubby:

Me: "What's the name of this coffee shop?"
Hubby: "Starbucks."
Me: 🤯

It was the very first Starbucks I'd been to (they were pretty new around here at that time), and I happened to be reading Moby Dick.
That's a cool coincidence.

Back
Top Bottom