Is two weeks too young?

growanstede

Crowing
15 Years
Feb 25, 2009
Wisconsin
Is two weeks too young for some supervised outside time? The weather is sunny and warm in Wisconsin and I think it will be okay, but didn't want to make a fatal mistake.
smile.png

Thanks in advance!

Yes it's fine on sunny wind-free days and I'm sure the chicks will love it. Just play the role of mama hen. If they start bunching up and peeping loudly, they need to go back under their heat lamp. The chicks will let you know if they are comfortable.

I put mine outside in the tractor at 9 days old. I let them out to play, supervised only, at 2 wks old. Its hot in south Texas so they weren't cold. They loved it!

Mine are loving it too! Check them out on the webcam! www.blogtv.com/people/creamcityhens

They're
eating itty bitty cut up pieces of grape and loving meeting the English Angoras and getting down on level with the dog.
big_smile.png
My daughter accidentally let one out when I was in the house getting grapes, and she went right through the side of the bunny cage (the buns are grazing outside in dog crates right now) and into the food dish. It was adorable seeing them say hello to one another--though I did pull her out right away to avoid conflict.

Mine are two weeks old today and they went out yesterday for the first time. We can just lift up their brooder cage and place it on the ground. They weren't too sure about the grass under thir feet but seemed happy to be out in the fresh air. There is a big ol' thermometer hanging on their cage wall so I could keep an eye on the temp. Had to put a board over half of the top so they could find shade. It also gave the older hens a chance to see them while they were free ranging, I think they're not impressed with the wee ones.

i have three week old chicks outside..the hot days here allow for them to be happy..and also have some great guards to watch them..the little yokohama and sumatra chicks love to hang around my phoenix for protection at night they run into the coop and snuggle inder the hens..and whats funny is i thought they would kill them cause i hatched the chicks and bought some and the older ones didnt see them till last week ill see if i can get some pics of the rooster being dad..

Quote:
Since they are going to be eating things they find outside, best to offer them some grit. They'll probably find some on the land, but better safe than sorry IMO.

Yeah, I had planned to go get some tonight when I've got the car back. We only have the one car for our family and my husband is in school.

Back
Top Bottom