Is This Interior Laying?

BigBlueHen53

❤️ Exodus 20:8-11 ❤️
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Mar 5, 2019
SE Missouri, USA
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
EE, 3 yo, markedly thinner than flock mates and thinner than normal. Keel bone very sharp, no meat on her. 🙁

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
This afternoon when I scattered scratch as I always do, I was shocked at her condition. She was extremely weak, supporting herself on her wings, but she acted very hungry. I looked closer and saw fecal material around or under her vent. She was eating but appeared very weak. She looked fine yesterday and as she often does, had attempted to make a break for it when I opened the gate. She's my escape artist. I haven't been letting them free range since losing birds to a coyote several weeks ago, and she misses it. Her crop felt very full and tight. Gritty, like full of scratch. I massaged it gently and it did seem to loosen a little.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
I only noticed it this afternoon. I brought her in after roosting and bathed her thoroughly. She's very weak.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No. Everyone else seems fine.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No. After bathing, I did an internal exam. Her vent was dry and very tight but I could not feel an egg or broken egg inside. However, while drying her, when she was lying on her right side, there seemed to be fullness in her lower abdomen behind her legs.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I am at a loss. Nothing that I know of.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
We feed feather fixer pellets and all-flock crumbles. The older hens have been molting. We kind of mix or alternate the feeds because nobody is crazy about the FF. We toss a handful of scratch out morning and afternoon, and I toss mealworms out in the afternoon as well. There's grit and OS available 24/7. That's it. Table scraps are extremely rare.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
No clue. Have her separated tonight on puppy pads, will update tomorrow.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Soaked her in Epsom salts, pitched that filthy water away, soaked her again in warm water with a bit of Dawn dish soap, clipped the dirty feathers away when I could see her vent so I knew she wasn't prolapsed (whew!), checked for a stuck egg, blow-dried her and put her in a clean crate for the night. OH! And I gave her a Tums just in case she is egg-bound.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
With all y'all's help, I think I can treat her as well as any local vet. Not sure we have any that treat chickens, to be honest, and even if we did, I am not in a position to spend hundreds on a 3-yo hen that in my opinion right now, does not look like having a better than even chance of survival. Frankly, I won't be surprised to find her dead in the morning. She went down REALLY fast.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Oh sorry, did not think to take a picture. I will tomorrow if she's still with us. She was so weak she couldn't argue with me about the bath and blow-dry, although she wanted to.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
She lives in an 8x10 walk-in coop with 23 other hens and pullets. They are not crowded, however, as 12 pullets sleep on a 6' roost under a window along one wall, and Ivory (this hen) typically shares a 4x6' pallet with 11 adult hens against the opposite wall. Lots of room for everybody. When I went to get Ivory tonight I could not find her. She was huddled by herself on the floor in the farthest corner under the pallet. I had to duck-walk under there to retrieve her. Bedding is shredded paper from the bank where my husband works. We've used it for close to ten years with no problems. It wicks moisture out of the droppings and stays clean and dry, and does not breed mites or lice.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

ETA: SUNDAY, 11/28/21. In spite of the efforts of the OP and the advice and recommendations of the respondents to this thread, my hen was too far gone and, sadly, did not recover. We euthanized her this morning. Thanks again to those who tried to help, especially to azygous and Wyorp Rock whose knowledge and experience are always greatly appreciated and beyond compare.

Last edited:
She may be having some reproductive issues.

I would work on hydration, offer her some water, warmed sugar water or electrolytes - whatever you have. If she's willing to eat, let her eat. A little wet mash, scrambled egg, whatever interests her, but hydration first - even if she won't eat, if she will take fluids, that's ok!!
Re-check her crop in the morning to see if it's emptied.

You've given the calcium which is good. She's cleaned up, warm and dry. After you get fluids into her, make her comfy (I know you will) and let's see how she is in the morning.

Let's get a look at the overnight droppings too.

Well, my Ivory is alive this morning. And on her feet. However, her crop may be impacted. It's still full, tight and gritty, so she'll be getting some frozen coconut oil shortly to try to move that along. I've provided her with warm water with some GatorAde in it but she doesn't appear interested, and I'm withholding food at the moment. I put in a tray containing grit on one side and OS on the other, and although she investigated it and looked interested in the grit, she didn't take any. Here is a pic of her now and poop pics will follow. She's in a warm place and as I said, on her feet, but clearly miserable.

PXL_20211126_133919945.jpg

PXL_20211126_134418718.jpg

Last edited:
Here are her poops from over night and this morning.

PXL_20211126_133624153.jpg

PXL_20211126_133634860.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20211126_133630311.jpg
    PXL_20211126_133630311.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20211126_133638032.jpg
    PXL_20211126_133638032.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 3
10:40 a.m. Gave her a second dose of coconut oil. Blockage in crop has moved down, not right up under her throat, and seems a little smaller and softer. She is not drinking voluntarily. I wrapped her in a towel, sat with her on my lap and used a 3 cc syringe to get some honey water down her. She resisted at first but then decided she liked it and agreed to drink it as I dripped a few drops at a time into her beak. She is resting now, lying with her breast feathers in her drinking water, so I will offer her more water right now.

When did you last deworm her?

Sometimes a worm infestation can lead to crop impaction, so maybe try deworming if it is more than 3 months after the last time.

Well, my Ivory is alive this morning. And on her feet. However, her crop may be impacted. It's still full, tight and gritty, so she'll be getting some frozen coconut oil shortly to try to move that along. I've provided her with warm water with some GatorAde in it but she doesn't appear interested, and I'm withholding food at the moment. I put in a tray containing grit on one side and OS on the other, and although she investigated it and looked interested in the grit, she didn't take any. Here is a pic of her now and poop pics will follow. She's in a warm place and as I said, on her feet, but clearly miserable.

View attachment 2909901

View attachment 2909902
See if the crop empties by morning with you pushing fluids. I wouldn't withhold food more than a day. I do provide wet feed for birds with crop issues, but some do withhold.
Deworming like mentioned is something to consider.
The poop, I've seen that before with hens that had reproductive problems. The crop problem is a symptom/result of inflammation somewhere else in the body, ime. That doesn't mean you don't treat symptoms, you are just aware that something else is going on too.
With treatment and supportive care, I've had hens "recover" (feel better) for long periods of time and just kept watch on them. Once I saw signs of not feeling well, then I would repeat the process and see what happens.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Oh, I did offer her more water today, this time it had some GatorAde in it. She didn't like it. I'm about to try the honey water again. Also gave her more coconut oil, then gently massaged her crop for at least ten minutes. Felt very gritty and hard. That was about 1 p.m. Will do that again shortly, it is now about 5 p.m. Not much has changed. She is still not eating or drinking on her own and is just squatted quietly in her cage.

Back
Top Bottom