Is This Fowl Pox?

MROO

Enabler
6 Years
Feb 26, 2018
The North-Eastern Corner of Maryland
This is Avatar - a 14 month old Nankin bantam rooster. He is currently part of our "Bachelor Flock" - a group of 8 males ranging in age from 6 months to three years. They get along very well, but DD noticed that they've been "fighting" lately, because most have what looked to her like dried blood bruises along their combs and faces. I should have paid closer attention! When she brought Avatar in for Blu-Kote, I realized that he wasn't injured. He has crusty, black scabs and pale spots & swellings on his face and comb. I've never dealt with fowl pox before, but that's what this looks like to me. Can someone confirm or diagnose for me?

He is eating, but not taking fluids unless I soak his crumbles in Pedialyte. I understand that, if this is fowl pox, there really isn't a cure or even a good treatment for it, it just needs to run its' course, like pox in people. Still, there has got to be something I can do to make him and the rest of The Boys comfortable - and to treat or vaccinate my breeding flock in the other coop before it reaches them. It may already be too late for that, even, as we've had a severe drop off in egg production that I put down to molting ... but maybe that's not the reason after all.

Same rooster - opposite sides of the poor little guy's face!

Thank You for the quick response and excellent article references.
Avatar is much better, this morning. He is upright and interested in his surroundings, with nearly normal intake and output. He is also preening for attention and looking for treats (Guilty as charged ... I spoil my bantam boys!) If al else goes well, I'll put him back on the roost with his Brothers-in-Arms this evening. It looks like vaccinating the bachelor flock is a moot point. Most, if not all eight fellows show signs - mild, but definitely there. I guess we'll just do supportive therapy for them. I'm heading out for iodine in a bit.

I haven't checked the main coop yet, as I've been up to my ears in hot debris with Avatar and The Boys and I don't want to cross-contaminate if they don't already have it. I'll clean up, first, then go check the breeding pen. I think it's probably moot, too, as we've had an egg drought for at least a week. I thought it was due to the heat and molting, but now I'm not so sure. I fully expect to find pox in that coop and run, too.

Wet fowl pox which is when there are yellow lesions inside the beak and throat is a much more serious type of fowl pox. It is much less common, but if any stop eating and look especially sick, check for that. Scabs should be left alone. If any scabs are near the eyes, some use Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin ointment in the eye to prevent infection.

Back
Top Bottom