Is this chick a Frizzle?

VioletBlueIvy

Songster
11 Years
Jan 29, 2010

I have never had a frizzle, nor have I seen one in person. What do you experts think?
The chick is a three week old Light Brahma from TSC, supplied by Mt. Healthy. This one looks very different from it's brooder mates who's new feathers lay smooth.

Not likely.

Frizzled Brahmas are rare next to not existing in the US especially in hatchery stock, however poor feather growth that mimics frizzling seems to be quite common, I myself once had a light Brahma who I too thought was a frizzle, but it was just very very slow feather growth that eventually turned to normal feathering.

Not likely.

Frizzled Brahmas are rare next to not existing in the US especially in hatchery stock, however poor feather growth that mimics frizzling seems to be quite common, I myself once had a light Brahma who I too thought was a frizzle, but it was just very very slow feather growth that eventually turned to normal feathering.

Thats what I was thinking, and this chick almost didn't make it and is slower to develop than the others so that could be it. Tried searching for nutritional deficiencies that cause abnormal feather growth, and found nothing, and I could not find a Frizzled Brahma anywhere either. I figured it was a long shot, but It would be very cool. I will just have to wait and see!
Do you remember how long it was before you could tell it was not frizzled after all?

When it was mostly/fully feathered. Mine suffered a horrible fate though, but, I don't want to scare you with that.

All frizzles do not feather out the same. Some feathers can be slightly turned, others very turned.

If you have a frizzle, you should only breed with a smooth feathered bird. Only 40% of the hatch will be frizzled, but all carry the gene.

You might have a frizzle. My Daisy had the same colors like that and did not start feathering until she was 5 weeks old.

600262c2-742b-52db.jpg

600262c2-7438-ceb9.jpg

If my light brahma is a boy, I'm breeding him with her. The hatch should have the Columbian look.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom