Is this a reaction from the heat?

Knock Kneed Hen

California Dream'in Chickens
9 Years
Feb 15, 2010
So. Cal.
I had one Swedish Flower Hen yesterday that looked like she was napping throughout the day. A lot more lethargic than usual.

Today a different SFH is acting similar, except that her comb and wattles are very crimson red. Not just a hen coming into laying, but seriously
bright red. She's now acting a little lethargic. I put her in water and she just stood there...then began to close her eyes.

Today is the second day of 95, which isn't all that hot.

It could be the heat...but I don't want to assume that and then discover they had something else. They look healthy otherwise. No puffiness around the
eyes, no discharge. The second bird layed a thin shelled egg yesterday.

I'm not completely new to chickens, but we don't get hot weather all that much.

If they're not used to this much heat they will not tolerate it as well as other might. Dunking in room temp water and letting them air dry is a good idea if they are really stressed. Be sure they have shade and breeze; you may want to run a fan. A little Gatorade in the water might help. Moisten the ground to keep it cool. They appreciate having spots they can scratch down to cooler dirt to dust bathe.

Dust Bathe...I like that! We had 6 days of 100+ heat here in Ohio. That was insane, but what was more insane was looking for my girls, and just seeing the tops of their heads. They dug wholes deep enough to bury their whole bodies in my wifes flower beds, They dig a lot, but nothing like they did in that hot weather :)

Does your coop have a ventilation fan in it? I designed a full flow air system when I built the new coop. It has 2 big screened windows low, and 2 long slender ones up where the girls roost. The backside has an 1100 cfm dual cage blower that pulls the air through the coop. This will keep them very cool during these hot days. If you want a pic, I will take a few. The fan actually has 3 speeds and is controlled by a simple thermostat. You might try putting out a pan of crushed ice. My birds love the ice chips. Hope that helps
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks for your help! I do have tons of ventilation and they're free range. I'll try the ice trick. I have the coop wired for electricity but we haven't ran it down to the coop yet.
Sounds like a nice set up jrottie.

Dust Bathe...I like that! We had 6 days of 100+ heat here in Ohio. That was insane, but what was more insane was looking for my girls, and just seeing the tops of their heads. They dug wholes deep enough to bury their whole bodies in my wifes flower beds, They dig a lot, but nothing like they did in that hot weather :)

Does your coop have a ventilation fan in it? I designed a full flow air system when I built the new coop. It has 2 big screened windows low, and 2 long slender ones up where the girls roost. The backside has an 1100 cfm dual cage blower that pulls the air through the coop. This will keep them very cool during these hot days. If you want a pic, I will take a few. The fan actually has 3 speeds and is controlled by a simple thermostat. You might try putting out a pan of crushed ice. My birds love the ice chips. Hope that helps
smile.png
send pictures please.i would like to see your setup.thanks.

Back
Top Bottom