is this a dark sex link?

Sometimes you get black sexlinks that hatch not black but dark red with lots of penciling when older. 1 in about a hundred or so hatch that way. So that might still be a black sexlink, but it dipped into the red gene pool a bit stronger then others.

When I use to order lots of black sexlinks from the hatcheries I use to get 1 or 2 dark red ones in every batch, being a mixed breed you do get the genetic oops now and then. Your pullet looks like a red "black" sexlink to me.

Sometimes you get black sexlinks that hatch not black but dark red with lots of penciling when older. 1 in about a hundred or so hatch that way. So that might still be a black sexlink, but it dipped into the red gene pool a bit stronger then others.

When I use to order lots of black sexlinks from the hatcheries I use to get 1 or 2 dark red ones in every batch, being a mixed breed you do get the genetic oops now and then. Your pullet looks like a red "black" sexlink to me.
This would make sense, since it was purchased at a feed store instead of a backyard breeder. I was wondering how a mix would get in with those.

Back
Top Bottom