Is there anyone from Ohio that are aware of law and regulations ? I need some assistance.

Koipondduck

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 26, 2012
Mid West
This is the way it started. As you all know by now that I wanted some ducks just to have them roam around on the pond . I was told they are mallards but they are pretty old looking ( might be even a mix) someone in Ohio mentioned.
One said it might be a mixture of ruen and mallards. After coming to this house, I make fresh salad for them every day with scrambled eggs, chopped red pepper, apples, meal worms, grapes, tomatoes, and night crawlers. We are trying our best to care for them. I called the ODNR to ask if I needed a permit for wood duck and ended up telling them that I got these mallards. Well, Medina Tractor supply said that they sell these mallards every day and no one ever heard of permits unless you "caught them in a wild" or someon plan to resale them.
These mallards are happy roaming through these lush green back yard and they gain weight just from great food , green and pasturing. they look lot more healthier from the time I got them. Also, federal law says ( attached) that anyone can have water fowl in their back yard if they are just having it for hobbies and "no one are allowed to catch any of these from wild". If they are reared ( meaning domestically grown) and someone either has gifted you, or sold you any thing and you as a consumer are trying to enjoy your backyard, one one needs a permit. Also mentioned in the ariticle that seller should have a permit which they furnished me with . Same information was verified by our Region - 3 in charge and by a vet that takes care of all animals in Mr. Hope
Firm market. They both said no permit is necessary even for wood duck and mallards for hobby purpose unless someone is try to sell them. I do not know why this regulation only applies for me. if the calling government to ask for advise turns into problem, which does all the time, then no one should call law makers to ask questions.
Aside there are 1000 of houses in city of Cleveland that have many ducks and chickens as pets and some of the back yards are so small, without a proper coop , that these birds are better off in someone else's hard that are financially capable as well as willing to invest time to provide care. So far I built a coop with in a week. I make fresh fruit salad every day with meal worms, chopped apples, cherry tomatoes, night crawlers, grapes, scrambled eggs and take away from my own dinner making. Having an MPA I do know that we supposed to respect public authority but if they impose un ecessary regulations and make citizens life stressful, then it is :not citizen’s government", it is considered dictatorship . MPA teach us to provide transparent, equal and accountable service to all citizens and regulations are necessary. But when someone like me are providing so much care to my ducks, imposing unnecessary regulations where as there are many house hold are unable to provide care not being looked upon, I consider this as ignorance.
athere are 1000 of houses in city of Cleveland that have many ducks and chickens as pets and some of the back yards are so small, without a proper coop , that these birds are better off in someone else's hard that are financially capable as well as willing to invest time to provide care. So far I built a coop with in a week. I make fresh fruit salad every day with meal worms, chopped apples, cherry tomatoes, night crawlers, grapes, scrambled eggs and take away from my own dinner making. Having an MPA I do know that we supposed to respect public authority but if they

Here is what it says on migratory water fowl law but I also attached the entire file

A Federal Migratory Bird Waterfowl Sale and Disposal permit will authorize you to sell, donate, or otherwise dispose of to another person, properly marked, captive-reared migratory waterfowl and their eggs. A permit is not required to sell or dispose of properly marked, captive-reared mallards. You should review Title 50 Parts 10, 13, and 21.25 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). You are responsible for reviewing and understanding these regulations before you request and accept a permit. These regulations can be found on our website at: http://www.fws.gov/permits/ltr/ltr.html. Below is a review of several sections pertinent to a Federal Migratory Bird Waterfowl Sale and Disposal permit.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT A FEDERAL
MIGRATORY BIRD WATERFOWL SALE AND DISPOSAL PERMIT
1. Do I need a permit to possess captive-reared migratory waterfowl?

No. Any person may, without a permit, lawfully acquire properly marked, captive-reared migratory waterfowl of any species, alive or dead, or their eggs, and possess and transport such birds or eggs and any progeny or eggs solely for his own use, subject to the following conditions:
(a) Such birds, alive or dead, or their eggs may be lawfully acquired from holders of valid Waterfowl Sale and Disposal permits.
(b) All progeny of such birds or eggs hatched, reared, and retained in captivity must be physically marked as defined in 21.13(b). (Also see question 3 below.)
(c) No birds or eggs or progeny may be disposed of by any means, alive or dead, to any other person unless you have a valid Waterfowl Sale and Disposal permit.
(d) Lawfully possessed and properly marked waterfowl may be killed, in any number, at any time or place, by any means except shooting. Such birds may be killed by shooting only in accordance with all applicable hunting regulations.
(e) When you acquire any waterfowl, alive or dead, from a Waterfowl Sale and Disposal permittee, the permitte
e must give you the original of the completed Form 3-186, Notice of Waterfowl Transfer or Sale, providing all information required by the form and method or methods by which individual birds are marked.
Other regulations governing the possession of waterfowl can be found in 50 CFR 21.14.
2. Can I take waterfowl from the wild?
No. You may not take migratory waterfowl or their eggs from the wild and you may not acquire wild waterfowl from another person. Anyone who transfers waterfowl to you must have a valid Waterfowl Sale and Disposal permit.

3. Do I need to mark waterfowl that I propagate?
Yes. All live migratory waterfowl (including progeny) possessed in captivity under authority of a valid Waterfowl Sale and Disposal permit must, prior to 6 weeks of age, be physically marked using one of the following methods:
(a) Removal of the hind toe from the right foot.
(b) Pinioning of a wing by removing the metacarpal bones of one wing or a portion of the metacarpal bones thereby rendering the bird permanently incapable of flight.
(c) Banding of one metatarsus with a seamless metal band.
(d) Tattooing a readily discernible number or letter or combination thereof on the web of one foot.
4. What documentation is required when I transfer waterfowl to another person?
Each time you transfer waterfowl to another person, you will be required to complete a Form 3-186, Notice of Waterfowl Transfer or Sale. This form will be supplied by the Service with your permit for you to photocopy as 2
needed and is also available on our website at:
http://www.fws.gov/forms/3-186.pdf. You must furnish the original of the form to the person acquiring the birds or eggs, retain one copy in your files as a record of your transaction and mail two copies of each form completed to your Regional Migratory Permit Office on or before the last day of each month.
5. Do I need a migratory bird permit to raise and sell muscovy ducks?
No. You do not need a waterfowl sale and disposal permit or other Federal permit to raise and sell muscovy ducks. Muscovy ducks are now protected under the MBTA due to natural range expansion from Mexico into the United States. Although we amended the regulations at 50 CFR 21.14 and 21.25 to restrict possession and sale of muscovy ducks, we intend to revise those regulations. Therefore, we are not issuing permits or restricting sale, purchase, or possession of muscovy ducks at this time. Release of muscovy ducks to the wild outside their natural range is prohibited. More information is available at
http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds (scroll to 50 CFR 21.54 Muscovy Duck).
6. Do I need a State permit in addition to a Federal permit to sell migratory waterfowl?
Your permit is not valid unless you also are in compliance with State requirements. This means that if your State requires you to have a permit to sell or transfer migratory waterfowl, you must hold a valid State permit in order for your Federal permit to be valid. It is your responsibility to make sure you comply with State permit requirements.
7. Will anyone inspect my records or my waterfowl?

By accepting a Federal Waterfowl and Disposal permit, you authorize an agent of the Service to enter your premises at any reasonable

Yes as far as federal government goes you don't HAVE to have a permit to keep migratory waterfowl.

However

Most states have strict laws that DO require you to apply for a permit to keep migratory waterfowl.

So just checking with the USDA and federal government doesn't cover you on a local/state level.

In some states the local town/city prohibits keeping any livestock to include ducks, chickens, geese ect.

You always have to comply with all laws from city to county to state and federal.

Where you bought the Mallards didn't actually provide you with a permit, they gave you a copy of the receipt required to sell those mallards (in other words the paper work required) a copy will stay in their records, and another will goto the federal government who issued the keep/sell permit to them to begin with.

You need to keep that copy in your paperwork, and then also apply to the state for a permit allowing you keep them.

No gentleman said that he reared them domestically from he was 18 and no he did not give me a permit.
He sells these from his back yard. I got rid of them since for hobbies, I do not want trouble.

Back
Top Bottom