2 years of waiting I got my Nene geese! Whoohoo

They sound awesome and so unusual for this part of the USA coming from Hawaii.
The other thing I Love about them is they are really quiet for geese. The only time I hear them really call is when there are Canada geese flying by. They honk and lower their heads (This is MY HOUSE you.......!) Otherwise the most noise they make is sort of a quiet hum.
They are found in many private collections all over the US. Because they are classified as threatened, we can't sell them across state lines without a special permit obtained by the buyer. (Takes about 6 months from what I have been told).
They lay eggs in Dec-Jan and mine were too young to lay this year. Next year I will be eagerly standing by to see if they have any ;)

After being on a wait list for 2 years I was able to purchase juvenile pair this year :wee

During this time, I did a bunch of research and learned a few things about legal sales of protected migratory waterfowl and thought I would share.

Anything listed on the US Fish + Wildlife Service page as protected requires a federal permit to sell. Captive hatched birds must be permanently identified by either a seamless leg band, pinioning, removing a hind toe on the right foot, banding or tattoo.

The seller should provide you with a federal form 3-186 which states they bred the bird and transferred it to you. They need to file their sales reports yearly.

The Nene is critically endangered, it cannot legally be sold across state lines.

You can own them without a permit, but if you plan to sell them, you must have the permit.

I will be applying for a federal permit but no huge rush since they will not be of age to breed for another year. I am also NPIP so my birds will be tested.

This was one of my bucket list birds and I am sooo excited!

TView attachment 1581229 View attachment 1581230 View attachment 1581232 View attachment 1581233
How, where and how much?!!!! I've tried for YEARS. I want some so bad.

After being on a wait list for 2 years I was able to purchase juvenile pair this year :wee

During this time, I did a bunch of research and learned a few things about legal sales of protected migratory waterfowl and thought I would share.

Anything listed on the US Fish + Wildlife Service page as protected requires a federal permit to sell. Captive hatched birds must be permanently identified by either a seamless leg band, pinioning, removing a hind toe on the right foot, banding or tattoo.

The seller should provide you with a federal form 3-186 which states they bred the bird and transferred it to you. They need to file their sales reports yearly.

The Nene is critically endangered, it cannot legally be sold across state lines.

You can own them without a permit, but if you plan to sell them, you must have the permit.

I will be applying for a federal permit but no huge rush since they will not be of age to breed for another year. I am also NPIP so my birds will be tested.

This was one of my bucket list birds and I am sooo excited!

TView attachment 1581229 View attachment 1581230 View attachment 1581232 View attachment 1581233
I know this is an old post, but I'd love to purchase some Nene. Where did you get them? I live in Mississippi, how do I go about getting on a waiting list or whatever I have to do to get them?

I know this is an old post, but I'd love to purchase some Nene. Where did you get them? I live in Mississippi, how do I go about getting on a waiting list or whatever I have to do to get them?
you will have to find a breeder in your state as they cannot be sold across state lines.

Back
Top Bottom