Is my 6 week old Speckled Sussex a Daisy or a Duke?

Streganona

Chirping
5 Years
May 5, 2017
[
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
I'm a newbie with a little flock of six baby chickens, all different breeds. One little lady, our sweet Miss Daisy, is making me wonder if she's due for a name change. She's 6 weeks old. I know we can't be sure for several weeks yet. .. but am wondering what more experienced folks might think. Is our Daisy really a Duke?

Last edited:
She's so sweet. I'm praying she's a little lady so we can keep her. When do you think we'll have a better idea?

Depending on how fast the breed matures, you're looking at 6 to 16 weeks. Look for the growth of the red wattle under the chin. Your Roosters will have larger bright red wattles. Also brighter colors and larger tail feathers. But the wattles are dead give-a-way. They'll start to grow first. My red sex links are 6 weeks and the roosters waddles are already 1/2 inch long. Now my white silkie bantams are 5 weeks, which matures slow. No sign of which ones are roosters. They may be a while. Look up the mature rate of your breed of chick and you'll have an idea when you should see the change. I hope this answer helps.

Thank you so much. That's very helpful. I'll look up about the wattles. Right now they're just barely showing. Fingers crossed that's a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom