is it odd that ringneck dove pairs came back?

laughingdog

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 16, 2011
Newport Tennessee
i had four ringnecks, and the white female got out and just took straight off to the middle of nowhere crashing into and just going as hard as she could (she had been just harrassed suddenly by he boys, in exercise pen, then something fell and scared the tar outta her so she bolted uncharictaristically). so i let the others out after a bit to go get her and bring back or just hopefully keep company and have better chance in group. well all are back in, but the frosted male, as i was picking them up and putting them back in when they just showed up (the three had been hanging out during day in trees across from my place, but eating ang roosting over at neighbors that has feed and houses out on her balcony), and after searching around and all over, the females decided to come back her to nest apparently. could i just let them free fly and theyll maybe keep coming back? or just fluke and now that caged again, think they unlike pigeons will just not come back? or would maybe letting them nest in them make it safe place again? they have been coming back and fourth even though im crashing around out there, and they gett spooked off eventually again, but the females just came right up and plopped in them when put nests out. think i should put them in, just cause doves been gone about a wek now and theyve been mating and trying nesting in places, or wont they get egg bound? im looking to move, so trying to not let everything breed etc right now at least. im kinda not wanting to rehome them even more now..

they'll hang around, but they are quite teritorial so you'll probably only have 1 pair nesting around you and the rest will only show up during feeding time.

I've had this happen to me many times when some of my doves flew away by accident. This one time years ago, my cousin was getting married and they wanted me to release some of my doves after the bride and groom came out of the church. I did have a few of those doves that did make it back home, but I remember there was one or two that didn't come back. But I was so impressed and happy that my doves did make it back.
smile.png
I know it helps to have some doves in a cage, that the doves that flew away can hear them, and that helps them to make it back home.

so ringneck doves can home to some extent..??? i was curious to try to mix them with homers, and know theyd be sterile, but maybe good to mix with other birds to fill out kits.

Back
Top Bottom