Is her wing messed up?

Aug 1, 2023
I think Twister (light orange barn mix) maybe broke her wing. No screaming when I tried to stretch it out, but it looks really loose and limp.

Attachments

• B38F4DEE-FBED-4837-B49C-ED654229C0F1.jpeg
    B38F4DEE-FBED-4837-B49C-ED654229C0F1.jpeg
    947.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 892E405B-ABC6-41DC-8EB7-625D317B5F65.jpeg
    892E405B-ABC6-41DC-8EB7-625D317B5F65.jpeg
    788.9 KB · Views: 10
Does she seem to be in pain at all? Is she running around with the others? Could she be overheated?
Try feeling all along her wing for any obvious breaks. I’ll attach a diagram of a chicken skeleton for reference. If you don’t think it will hurt her, you could try dropping her from just high enough that she has to flap her wings, and see if she’ll use it.
If you don’t feel any breaks, but she won’t use it, it could be dislocated. I’m not sure of the procedure in that case; there’s probably somebody else on here who is.
I’ve had birds hold their wings strangely for a little while; it might go away with time.
Keep us updated. :)
Skeleton.jpeg

Does she seem to be in pain at all? Is she running around with the others? Could she be overheated?
Try feeling all along her wing for any obvious breaks. I’ll attach a diagram of a chicken skeleton for reference. If you don’t think it will hurt her, you could try dropping her from just high enough that she has to flap her wings, and see if she’ll use it.
If you don’t feel any breaks, but she won’t use it, it could be dislocated. I’m not sure of the procedure in that case; there’s probably somebody else on here who is.
I’ve had birds hold their wings strangely for a little while; it might go away with time.
Keep us updated. :)
View attachment 3835600
Her other wing is fine. She doesn’t look like she’s in pain, so maybe it was dislocated somehow. She is otherwise acting normal, but I recently had to patch the coop after a raccoon reached in and killed her older sister. So I might know what happened to her, but I’m not sure if it’s a problem or not.

Her other wing is fine. She doesn’t look like she’s in pain, so maybe it was dislocated somehow. She is otherwise acting normal, but I recently had to patch the coop after a raccoon reached in and killed her older sister. So I might know what happened to her, but I’m not sure if it’s a problem or not.
I have a vague recollection that sometimes after a shock (like the raccoon) birds can hold their wings loosely. Take it with a grain of salt; I can’t remember where I heard it. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom