Is Corid safe for chicks as young as 1-3 days old?

Deltaanne

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2020
Is Corid safe for such chicks as young as just a few days old? They still have the little tooth on their beaks that helps them break out of the shell. I've noticed foamy diarrhea and was going to put them in the same brooder as my 1-2 week old chicks who are being treated currently for coccidiosis.

Are they all acting normal, moving around, eating, drinking?

That seems a little soon for 3 day old chicks to have coccidiosis. Are you using a medicated feed with Amprolium?

Are they on dirt or in the house?

Some give the the Amprolium in the water instead of feed and use Corid at the "preventative" dose.

They're moving around, just acting really calm if that makes sense? I did notice they started eating soon as I got them home.

They're not on medicated feed, just regular chick starter.

They're in a brooder up off the ground on our closed in porch. The other 6 chicks I got last week who are being treated for coccidiosis are in the same brooder. I currently only have one water dish and it's got a dose of the Corid in it.

I think they are ok. Cocciodosis will work on them pretty quickly.

Yes they are very hungry if you get them directly from the hatchery. They probably need to drink some water before eating to help prevent pasty butt and dehydration.

Regular chick starter is fine.

How do you know your other chicks have coccidiosis?

Yeah they're all eating and drinking good now, I'm just going to keep my eye out for pasty butt.

And 1 or 2 of the other chicks had runny, dark, and somewhat bloody diarrhea. I researched it and spoke to our local feed store about it and both led me to believe its coccidiosis, so I decided to treat them with the Corid to be safe.

Corid should be safe for chicks of any age. Chicks hatch with a few cocci in their systems, and if stressed or chilled (for example, shipping stress) their immune systems may be temporarily depressed, which allows the cocci to rapidly multiply; if left untreated, coccidiosis can kill chicks pretty quickly. Corid blocks vitamin B uptake which is what kills the cocci, it is not an antibiotic. If you see the chicks begin to get lethargic you might need to increase the dose to treatment, but it sounds as if you caught it quickly and your chicks are doing well. Good job!

Thank you so much for the feedback!! I've read many say you need to give chicks something like vitamin drops in the water after Corid treatment is complete. Do you know much about adding the drops afterwards?

If you are adding the new chicks in with the old chicks or even keeping them anywhere near the older chicks then yes you need to treat them with Corid.

Don't offer them any vitamin supplements until after a full course of Corid.

Do you have the powder or liquid Corid and how much are you adding to the water?

@pozees2 cocci is something completely different than (coccidia) coccidiosis. Cocci is not short for it either.

Thank you for the feedback! That's exactly what I planned on doing, waiting on the vitamins and just letting them all get treated at the same time with the Corid. I'm putting 1/4 tsp liquid Corid in a 1 quart water dish for them.

If you are adding the new chicks in with the old chicks or even keeping them anywhere near the older chicks then yes you need to treat them with Corid.

Don't offer them any vitamin supplements until after a full course of Corid.

Do you have the powder or liquid Corid and how much are you adding to the water?

@pozees2 cocci is something completely different than (coccidia) coccidiosis. Cocci is not short for it either.
I stand corrected.

Back
Top Bottom