is baby feed just ground up laying pellets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

castrbl

Chirping
Sep 4, 2018
Roseboro, NC
i had my chick on baby feed ever since i got her but now im sceptical ... i dont want her on laying pellets so if baby feed is just ground up laying pellets, please provide good replacements.

Chick feed has higher protein, and is sometimes medicated. Layer feed contains calcium needed for egg laying. Some people feed all ages an all flock type feed, such as Purina Flock Raiser and then provide oyster shell on the side for the layers.

i had my chick on baby feed ever since i got her but now im sceptical ... i dont want her on laying pellets so if baby feed is just ground up laying pellets, please provide good replacements.

Now that the feed issue has been resolved, how many chicks do you have right now? It sounds like you just have the one but I hope that is not the case.

Chick starter is maybe 90% the same as lay pellets. But I doubt that laying pellets will harm a baby chick regardless of what you have heard or been told. Try this, the next time that you go to the feed store look at the tags on the chicken feed and compare the lay pellets to the chick starter. You'll find that they are both mostly the same ingredients.
Baby food like strained peas, carrots, or spinach are at the end of the day still peas, carrots, and spinach.

Now that the feed issue has been resolved, how many chicks do you have right now? It sounds like you just have the one but I hope that is not the case.
i do have one but she stays with me 24/7. ive shown her other chicks from my cousin's house but since she was raised on her own i dont think she likes other chicks very much ... she sees people as her flock now.
i dont want her on laying pellets because i dont want her laying an abnormal amount of eggs since chickens are only supposed to lay one or two every month.

i do have one but she stays with me 24/7. ive shown her other chicks from my cousin's house but since she was raised on her own i dont think she likes other chicks very much ... she sees people as her flock now.
i dont want her on laying pellets because i dont want her laying an abnormal amount of eggs since chickens are only supposed to lay one or two every month.
Her body will lay as many eggs as she was intended to lay. When she does start laying she will NEED to have the proper amount of calcium to form the shell. Without it, she will have major (potentially fatal) health issues.
Withholding proper feed to try to limit her egg production will only cause her harm. Her body needs what it needs and you must provide it to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom